New Taxes Revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting. When is this suppose to take effect, or do they have to wait for thier leader to do the final signing of the bill, or veto it? It does seem crazy for a country to do this, especially since they have such high taxes already, and dont hide thier airport exit fees into the airline tickets. And with it being a charge for sea travelers, I wonder if they plan on charging that to the thousands of people arriving on cruise ships.

Thanks for posting. When is this suppose to take effect, or do they have to wait for thier leader to do the final signing of the bill, or veto it? It does seem crazy for a country to do this, especially since they have such high taxes already, and dont hide thier airport exit fees into the airline tickets. And with it being a charge for sea travelers, I wonder if they plan on charging that to the thousands of people arriving on cruise ships.
The article mentioned the need for him to veto it as well.

Hard to imagine Honduras justifying visitors as a need for more security. :silly:

The article mentioned the need for him to veto it as well.

Hard to imagine Honduras justifying visitors as a need for more security. :silly:

Don, 'security' as a reason to raise taxes is the politically correct thing to say these days...it's just an underhanded way to really be charging what should be called 'rich gringo tax' to be charged because they can and they feel the gringos will just suck it up. I somewhat make up for that nonsense by NOT buying souvenirs or eating out on my dive trips....if they are going to hit me with 'taxes' or 'fees' or mandatory 'tips', I reduce my other spending as much as possible. This 'gringo' is actually just a working guy who works hard for his limited $ and am not a cash cow!

....This 'gringo' is actually just a working guy who works hard for his limited $ and am not a cash cow!

From their perspective, you are mooing.

Unfortunately they don't see milk, they see beef.

Should +\- $13 effect my decision on taking trip costing several thousand dollars?? If it does, I shouldn't take the trip because I really cant afford it if my budget is that tight.

This tax will hit everyone (including Hondurans) who enter and leave the country. I just hope they add it to the ticket price so your last memory of Roatan is not waiting in line at Banco LaFise and shelling out more money.

Should +\- $13 effect my decision on taking trip costing several thousand dollars?? If it does, I shouldn't take the trip because I really cant afford it if my budget is that tight.

Now if you go back and read the link you will see the security fee is proposed to charge approximately $17 US per person entering AND leaving for an amount of about $34 US per person along with the roughly $35 taxes already charged

This tax will hit everyone (including Hondurans) who enter and leave the country. I just hope they add it to the ticket price so your last memory of Roatan is not waiting in line at Banco LaFise and shelling out more money.
Not much...

"Honduras entered a “Central America-4 (CA-4) Border Control Agreement” with Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. Under the terms of the agreement, citizens of the four countries may travel freely across land borders from one of the countries to any of the others without completing entry and exit formalities at immigration checkpoints." Honduras

Now if you go back and read the link you will see the security fee is proposed to charge approximately $17 US per person entering AND leaving for an amount of about $34 US per person along with the roughly $35 taxes already charged
$34.80 for locals, $37.80 for foreigners actually.

Still not enough to effect a decision in my view. As a % of the total cost of the trip its minimal.

Back
Top Bottom