new smb deployment reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincerice12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello i am in late development stages of a new and innovative safety reel for deploying an smb. The Self Contained Underwater Deploying and Retracting Reel (SCUDARR) Inflates the smb with a 0.04 litre cylinder that makes up the units handle and a self retracting reel that makes this unit a one handed operation. I would appreciate the views and feedback good or bad from any member. Videos are available on youtube search 'scudarr in action' and on my Facebook page 'apso diving'. Please take time and have a look. Thanking you all in anticipation.

Making it work with a CC SMB would be prerequisite for me to consider it. How does it get cleared when the reel jams?

You can use the reel with most smbs and if it jams underwater you just let go of the handle. On the syrface it can easily broken down and untangled. The prototypes have been deployed nearly 300 times and have not jammed yet

Is there some way the gas delivery would work with a CC SMB? It looks like it would only be useful for the kind of open-bottom bag shown in the videos.

I know that sooner or later someone will say that this is an equipment solution to a skills problem (OK, maybe it is), but I still think that this is pretty clever!

One issue is that it costs you a cylinder every time you practice. Are they disposable or refillable with a whip?

Since it can use other SMBs, I'm assuming that you have the option of filling it manually (via regulator, LP inflator nozzle or by mouth) if the cylinder fails, right?

I guess one other issue is that with a standard reel you can use it for navigation before you shoot a bag. Have you thought about building a version which can just attach to any standard reel? Don't see why that wouldn't be doable.

This looks like it would let you get the reel/bag very far away from your body before deploying, which is a safety plus. I remember a recent fatality related to a tangled line and an SMB shot from fairly deep. Apparently this is not a unique accident.

It is a reusable cylinder made from aluminium. Simply connect straight onto your full cylinder and charge 232bar/3200psi

It is a reusable cylinder made from aluminium. Simply connect straight onto your full cylinder and charge 232bar/3200psi

is there adequate usable cylinder volume if, say, 2640 (LP cylinders) are the re-fill source?

To connect to another reel you would just need to use a double ended clip

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:14 PM ----------

If the cylinder is empty smb can be filled on normal way and reel will still retract itself

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:18 PM ----------

3 of the smbs shown in the videos had inflation tubes only 2 other open bottom smbs were tested in july

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:20 PM ----------

Would have to check with engineers but will have an answer for you soon.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:20 PM ----------

Would have to check with engineers but will have an answer for you soon.

Hello i am in late development stages of a new and innovative safety reel for deploying an smb. The Self Contained Underwater Deploying and Retracting Reel (SCUDARR) Inflates the smb with a 0.04 litre cylinder that makes up the units handle and a self retracting reel that makes this unit a one handed operation. I would appreciate the views and feedback good or bad from any member. Videos are available on youtube search 'scudarr in action' and on my Facebook page 'apso diving'. Please take time and have a look. Thanking you all in anticipation.

Vince,

It's definitely an innovation. A few thoughts came to mind

1) it's bulky but flexible in deployment. It can be used with different types of blobs including self sealing ones. This is a vast improvement over previous systems.

and

2) in normal use it is probably on par with the AP-valves blob that is fitted with a 0.4L cylinder and a finger spool (which is less bulky)

My main concerns would be :

a) To tear it apart and look at the reel inside. I've literally never met a reel that I can't jam with normal use. That's the reason I (and a million other divers) use a finger-spool for deploying a blob. A finger spool can't jam and even if you let go of it, it just sits there in front of your face and unwinds hands-free. Anyway you cut it, the fact that this is reel based is a major drawback.

b) The cylinder would have to be as easy to re-fill as the ap-valves cylinder, which can be charged by buffering from any tank with a DIN valve.

c) The price would have to be lower than the combination of the ap-valves bag and finger spool combination. In order to compete with the best of breed product you'll need to offer an incentive. The flexibility is definitely value-added, but the drawback of being reel-based and the bulk of the system negate that (in my opinion). Bulk can be marketed with clever stowing but reel-based is a real concern.

hope that helps. It's probably not the feedback you were looking for, but it's feedback that will help you.

R..

For me I'd like to see it deployed with heavy gloves and dry gloves in cold water. It also does not look like it will fit in a pocket. Put a fitting on to attach to the LP inflator of a closed SMB. Cost would have to be under 75 USD and maybe less. Spool is 20 bucks. Safety reel like I use in the 50 range. Both will fit with an attached 36 inch SMB in my dry suit pocket. neat idea. Just see some needed refinements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom