new smb deployment reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel is still in the development stage more line would be added as testing and customer feedback grows. Starting off with the 10 metre reel on the market as it has been tested and proven in the field. Thanks for you honest feedback and at present you are correct in your assumptionthat the reel would be more suited to drift diving for deployment at shallower depths during ascent

Sure thing, always good to see well thought out innovation, and an appreciation of feedback!

I keep seeing a scene play out in my head. It involves a certain captain chewing my ass for waiting until I got to 10m to deploy a bag on a free ascent...because that's all the line I had on my reel. Not saying that a captain would do that unless he was Under Pressure....:wink:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that in order to have the SMB stay up, the diver needs to put some tension on the line. How much retraction tension this wheel can generate? does it have a locking feature?

smb are pulled upright by the diver, this reel has a braking mechanism that can be locked on so that the diver can hang on it during their safety stop. the retraction rate of the reel is generated by the rate the diver ascends the slower the ascend the slower the retraction

smb are pulled upright by the diver, this reel has a braking mechanism that can be locked on so that the diver can hang on it during their safety stop. the retraction rate of the reel is generated by the rate the diver ascends the slower the ascend the slower the retraction

OK, here's another question. Why the self-retraction? What advantage is that over a crank? I guess the one hand operation, but I can see that being a failure point.

The reason for the self retraction has three points first you got it, one handed operation two the line before and after deploy is always under tension so no chance of slack or loose line to become entangled in third the line is released smoothly and freely (no jerking action) from the reel by the pulling away force of the smb vs the tension applied by the inner reel

lol, you got it man line is evil. Well the line on my reel was had a mind of its own

Thank you to all the members who took the time to browse and reply we are at present looking at all of your feedback. In my diving experience i have seen SMBs deployed from less than 10 metres and only a couple of times more than 10 metres to alert the dive boat that we are preparing to surface. Could i now ask members to tell me the average depth they deploy their SMBs at ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom