new smb deployment reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... normally about 10 bar. The AP valves system (as well as abominations like the spare air) fill by buffering from a tank. I assume from Vince's previous posts that this system fills the same way.

R..

Thats true because it is such a small cylinder ( size of toilet paper inner tube) it requires high pressure

I am pretty sure if you tried to use the LP inflator for a fill, you couldn't get any more pressure than whatever your IP is set at.

The max you could get is whatever the IP is set for but I do not think you need much to fill a SMB unless you are using something big like a Carter SMB that was made to double as a lift bag. Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes Also if you want the bag to sit up out of the water a slightly larger tank as an anchor might work as long as it is easy enough to store in a pocket. You only need enough air for it to be fully inflated once it reaches the surface. The way it is set up now the tank seems to carry far more air then it needs for a single use.

How much line is on that self recoiling reel? .....and how much recoil does it have?

10 metres of line at present but with further development we think we can get closer to 20 metres on it without making unit any bigger. But initially when it comes to market it will have 10 metres of line on it.

10 metres of line at present but with further development we think we can get closer to 20 metres on it without making unit any bigger. But initially when it comes to market it will have 10 metres of line on it.

That seems to be a pretty big limitation. Especially if there is a current, with any kind of scope.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 09:29 PM ----------

If I were you, I would forget about the reel and work on just selling the inflator as something that clips onto the diver's existing reel handle, so that you could have a reasonable amount of line available, flexibility, and easier manufacturing.

Even from a moderately deep recreational wreck dive (30 metres), you might need 50 metres of line to hit the surface in current if you were deploying it because you lost the anchor line. This would be especially important if you were going to use it like a Jersey up line and tie it off on the bottom, to avoid getting blown away from the dive boat.

Your current design would be more appropriate for drift diving, with deployment from moderate depths during ascent, but that really limits your potential customer base.

Reel is still in the development stage more line would be added as testing and customer feedback grows. Starting off with the 10 metre reel on the market as it has been tested and proven in the field. Thanks for you honest feedback and at present you are correct in your assumptionthat the reel would be more suited to drift diving for deployment at shallower depths during ascent

I really like this idea but like a few other folks I tend to use a reel to deploy an SMB as an ascent line so 10m won't work for me but I will follow this thread to see where this goes. Looks good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom