new smb deployment reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reel simply connects onto a standard cylinder to refill it the price is not set in stone yet but it will be cheaper than the Ap valves version plus finger spool. The whole unit weighs 632grams with cylinder empty and 647 with cylindrr full and fits into bcd or drysuit pocket

a) To tear it apart and look at the reel inside. I've literally never met a reel that I can't jam with normal use. That's the reason I (and a million other divers) use a finger-spool for deploying a blob. A finger spool can't jam and even if you let go of it, it just sits there in front of your face and unwinds hands-free. Anyway you cut it, the fact that this is reel based is a major drawback.

Don't know about that, in all of the training that I have done (tech training with three different instructors, and two advanced wreck classes), the reel was the standard for deploying an SMB from depth, with the spool as a backup if you jam and launch your primary reel. But practices do vary from place to place and instructor to instructor, I suppose...

I'm not sure how you would adapt this to a spool based system, since part of the advantage is that you hold it with one hand by a part that doesn't spin, away from your body, and inflate from a distance.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 05:10 PM ----------

To connect to another reel you would just need to use a double ended clip

I guess I was thinking about a cylinder that would clip onto the handle of a reel firmly, so that you would have a one-piece SMB launcher that would adapt to a reel that you could also use for navigation...

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 05:13 PM ----------

All I can find online is your Facebook page, so I don't know if you have a website with specs, costs, etc... But the FB page says that the reel has 10m of line? Obviously too little for many diving applications... Again, if it could be adapted to an existing reel, that would solve that problem..

I don't think it's an inherently bad idea, but it strikes me as a complex solution to a problem that already has a simple solution.

Don't know about that, in all of the training that I have done (tech training with three different instructors, and two advanced wreck classes), the reel was the standard for deploying an SMB from depth, with the spool as a backup if you jam and launch your primary reel. But practices do vary from place to place and instructor to instructor, I suppose...

And they certified you? :wink:

R..

I don't think it's an inherently bad idea, but it strikes me as a complex solution to a problem that already has a simple solution.

I completely agree.

I completely agree.

Yeah. Normally I'm in the "don't solve skills problem with a gadget" camp too but I actually kind of like this one. I'd welcome the chance to compare it to my normal way of doing things (oral inflate with finger spool).

R..

Going to try and get a dive done in cold water with gloves and drysuit. Believe me it does fit into bcd and drysuit pockets with a 72 inch smb attached, it is as compact as i can make it. Still trying to drive price down as low as possible as a diver i am sick of bring ripped off by scuba retailers and manufacturers, price will be as low as i can make it.

I think this is a brilliant idea but I have a few suggestions. I would use a closed bag with an over pressurization valve. I would have a tank that can carry enough air to fill the bag attached to the bottom of the bag instead of the reel. This would reduce the size of your handle making it easier to store in a pocket. The tank hanging off the bottom of the bag would act as an anchor of sorts to keep the bag upright at the surface. With a closed bag and a tank that has slightly more air then needed the bag would be fully inflated and sitting upright at the surface. I would also use a simple fitting that can be purchased at any dive shop to refill the tank from a BCD hose. Tire Inflator at LeisurePro Doing it this way you now have two products to sell, a bag with a tank that will fill it to the exact amount needed that could be used with any reel and a self rewinding reel. Cost is always a consideration but if you can simplify this process enough and give them a two tier option when buying there are a lot of people who will have no problem with the price.

I think this is a brilliant idea but I have a few suggestions. I would use a closed bag with an over pressurization valve. I would have a tank that can carry enough air to fill the bag attached to the bottom of the bag instead of the reel. This would reduce the size of your handle making it easier to store in a pocket. The tank hanging off the bottom of the bag would act as an anchor of sorts to keep the bag upright at the surface. With a closed bag and a tank that has slightly more air then needed the bag would be fully inflated and sitting upright at the surface. I would also use a simple fitting that can be purchased at any dive shop to refill the tank from a BCD hose. Tire Inflator at LeisurePro Doing it this way you now have two products to sell, a bag with a tank that will fill it to the exact amount needed that could be used with any reel and a self rewinding reel. Cost is always a consideration but if you can simplify this process enough and give them a two tier option when buying there are a lot of people who will have no problem with the price.

I am pretty sure if you tried to use the LP inflator for a fill, you couldn't get any more pressure than whatever your IP is set at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom