NEW ship wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The SPAR is scheduled to be sunk this Saturday June 5th near the Aeolus. The SPAR is 180 long. It is 449 to the top of the wheel house and it was an old Coast Guard boat. It was an Ice breaker in service and will be sunk pretty much in tack.

The boat was purchased and is brought to you through a joint effort of the Crystal Coast Artificial Reef association (the local dive operators) and the Carteret County Sport fishing Association. The sport fishermen raised the vast majority of the money need to purchase this ship so we would like to applaud their efforts; we could not have done it with out them.

Is this event for real? I can not imagine a ship (other than an aircraft carrier) this large.

Well, Crystal Coast website hasn't been updated in over a year but Carteret County Sport fishing Association looks legit. There was a US coast guard ship built in 1941(?) with that name, but it is (was?) a 180' tender and not a 2000 footer. Maybe the size is a typo?

EDIT: Have to work on my typing speed. :D

ok I admit the first one was a typo sorry yes its 180 actually when messured was 184 and yes its real.
I will be there see what pictures i can get .

Anyone have the GPS coordinates available for this wreck? The Coast guard site has no details yet on the location of the site.

Regards,

IceFrog:
Anyone have the GPS coordinates available for this wreck? The Coast guard site has no details yet on the location of the site.

Regards,

I'm sure there are some numbers floating around, but I don't have them. I'm sure you can get them from CCARA of maybe from a diveshop in the area.

At the same time, the military has been doing some GPS jamming in the area as part of a training exercise, so you might want to wait until GPS is back to 'Normal'. Maybe it doesn't matter, I don't know...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-06-11-gps-interference_x.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom