New Shearwater AI transmitter - the Swift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In many cases they aren't divers, and often no one in the team is divers. So what seems sensible to them, doesn't make sense to the average diver which might pull the computer out once a month.
Exactly - but you'd think the R&D feedback from Alph and Beta testing y divers would show it up

*Anecdote warning*

A few years ago I used to programme the lighting for large concert tours and the like, sometimes I'd get a prototype desk to put through its paces on the show, as an Altha (or even pre Alpha) Generally I'd have a software programmer with me to de-bug and apply fixes on teh fly that we could feed back. All too often you'd come across a function that worked in a bizarre way (or required nonsensical keystroke syntax)

When asking the question why? (generally WTF) the answer was always teh same, Oh that's the way we thought the function would work. Obviously they were trying to make some of it suitable for all (Rock and Roll, Theatre and TV) because we all use the desk in a slightly (but quite dissimilar way) - but some of their ideas on the way a function should operate clearly came from someone who'd never sat alongside a desk to see how it worked IRL

What would a Peregrine AI do that a Perdix AI doesn't? Unless I'm wrong I thought the Peregrine was effectively an entry level to the range.
@Diving Dubai, you have answered your own question. The Peregrine is a Rec DC. The Perdix AI is a tech DC with many features that a recreational diver will likely never use or certainly exploit. If AI was migrated to the Peregrine line, it would mean that someone could get the customer service and reliability that Shearwater is famous for, as well as AI in a Recreational DC without paying for all of the Tech features that are included in the Perdix line. It isn't a matter of the Pereigrine having something that the Perdix doesn't. It is a matter of not paying for features that you would never use.

Exactly - but you'd think the R&D feedback from Alph and Beta testing y divers would show it up

The test divers are fresh off of reading the manual. They should then hand them the same computer six months later and see if they can remember how to use it.

That is one of the reasons why I love the Teric, the buttons are labeled (though it is hard to read on the black bezel), and when you enter a menu it has little icons next to each button to tell you what each it does (which is largely uniform throughout the menu system).

Has anyone heard anything about Shearwater's new transmitter?

I got a shipping notice from Paragon, so I should have it here next week.

It didn't even cross my mind that SW would have put an artificial limiting MOD of 40m on their gasses until I was constantly getting High PO2, which is when I noticed that 25% had a MoD limit of 40M on the Perdix. Having to dig into the manual for that did make me grumpy. I mean why.

That's plain stoopid! One would expect that from Suunto, but we all know MOD = dose / depth and 25% has a MOD of 45m (5.5ATA) at 1.4 PPO2.

Maybe they were nobbled by a PADI DiveMaster saying that you cannot dive beyond 40m/132' as there be dragons down there :)

...I have been diving AI since 2002. My Teric is the best computer I have had, I'm waiting for the Peregrine AI

What would a Peregrine AI do that a Perdix AI doesn't? Unless I'm wrong I thought the Peregrine was effectively an entry level to the range...

Exactly :). I do only no stop and light deco diving. I do not need many of the features included on the Teric. At the same time, it works perfectly well for me. I dive it in OC Rec, standard layout, configured just how I like it. My trusty Oceanic VT3, more than 11 years old, 1612 dives, 1685 hours, will not last forever. I'd like to think I could replace it with a Peregrine AI. I already own 3 PPS transmitters

upload_2021-7-29_12-42-55.png
upload_2021-7-29_12-43-9.png

I also get a tad frustrated that the lower screen which has info you can scroll though times out.
Neither the compass nor the pressure/SAC/GTR screen time out and nor would you want them to. I actually like that the others timeout as there are so many it takes ages to get back to the main screen.

Neither the compass nor the pressure/SAC/GTR screen time out and nor would you want them to. I actually like that the others timeout as there are so many it takes ages to get back to the main screen.

Thi sis why "I'd prefer to have a couple of pages of screens like the Eon, so you can choose what information you wish to focus on at certain point of the dive (obv depth and NDL stay constant)

Exactly :). I do only no stop and light deco diving. I do not need many of the features included on the Teric. At the same time, it works perfectly well for me. I dive it in OC Rec, standard layout, configured just how I like it. My trusty Oceanic VT3, more than 11 years old, 1612 dives, 1685 hours, will not last forever. I'd like to think I could replace it with a Peregrine AI. I already own 3 PPS transmitters

Many?? You mean the Tech screen layout and Helium gas? Once Custom GF made it to the Rec screen I stopped using the tech - obviously I had to deal with the unexpected Nanny mode of artificially limiting Nitrox Mod to 40m - the setting to disable that hidden deep in Adv setting.

I don't use the compass either.

IIRC you jumped to the Teric because you wanted the form factor (otherwise you'd had perhaps gone with the Perdix?) so why not another Teric, what is it that you don't like?

All that said, I'll wager the Peregrine firmware has all those items still in the code just not accessible to the user, where as the Teric and Perdix you have have full access if you choose.

A brand needs a range to keep you in the Eco system, so if you want AI pony up for a Perdix of Teric if you want to remain with a premium brand (which SW has been able to position itself as). Again aspirational Brand.

I'm not going to second guess SW. But it's my superstition that if there was a Peregrine AI there would be too much overlap with the Perdix. The amount of OC divers wanting HE functionality I'll suggest is very tiny nowadays and again lots of people use SW products who don't use more than 2/3 gasses no (serious He and small deco)

So to put AL on the Peregrine they either drop Perdix or give it something else to justify the additional cost, perhaps an OLED screen? Certainly Suunto Ration and OSTC have that screen within that price bracket, so in some ways Perdix is behind the times.

But they would need to do something the "Tech Mode" alone isn't going to sell Perdix - in any volume to keep it in production (if they want to keep it in production)

That's just an opinion. Remember when Perdix dropped, the diehards were still 100% convinced SW would never implement AI - and then they did...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom