New Scuba Mask Post-Cataract Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Completed in December 23 and January 24 so now have 20/20 long distance vision but need corrective glasses for near vision -- reading, computer, etc. Scuba mask suggestions, recommendations, products, producers, etc.? Prescription attached. Many thanks.
Brian

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240530_052920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240530_052920_Gallery.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 23
Twins bro. I had the exact same outcome after cataract surgery. That's my Rx. I use a regular mask with +2.0 gauge readers. Seavision makes an off the shelf mask that's perfect. I bought and travel with two JIC. Perfect for gauges and seeing small creatures.

I tried all types of stickers and glue-on lenses, some lasted a few dives, others were lost on the first splash.

There are many brands that have some models in which you can replace the lenses with corrective ones (takes a couple of minutes), or order them pre-installed if buyinga new mask.

Me and wife both use some Mares x-vision variants, and we just replaced the lenses to +2. It is just like reading lenses only at the bottom of the mask lens, to watch gauges and focus camera, and of course the little critters too.

If you opt for a mask with lenses, better check a model that fits your face, but in in my opinion it is the best solution.

You may not need +2.5, as the water/air refraction index difference already magnifies by ~33%

Completed in December 23 and January 24 so now have 20/20 long distance vision but need corrective glasses for near vision -- reading, computer, etc. Scuba mask suggestions, recommendations, products, producers, etc.? Prescription attached. Many thanks.
Brian
It is not a cheap option, but last year I went with Prescription Dive Masks and ordered their executive readers option. Turnaround time was also 3-4 weeks. I had minor problems reading my gauges, but my main issues were teaching and being able to read the slates. I also wanted it to be able to read all of the menus on my camera.

I bought a new Dive Rite Mask that I sent to them. Cost was $210. Get the executive readers as it is a much larger window to look at compared to the normal tiny readers window.

I use the Dive Optx concave readers that use warm water and suction to stay on the mask glass. I have a pair that I put on 5 years ago and they are still going strong. Just added another pair to a new mask. Simple process, costs ~$25 and lasts as long as the mask. They are available in different magnification strengths to suit your needs. I have found that the water gives you about a half magnification, so I go one half less when comparing prescription with mask readers, seems to work out well.

I tried all types of stickers and glue-on lenses, some lasted a few dives, others were lost on the first splash.

There are many brands that have some models in which you can replace the lenses with corrective ones (takes a couple of minutes), or order them pre-installed if buyinga new mask.

Me and wife both use some Mares x-vision variants, and we just replaced the lenses to +2. It is just like reading lenses only at the bottom of the mask lens, to watch gauges and focus camera, and of course the little critters too.

If you opt for a mask with lenses, better check a model that fits your face, but in in my opinion it is the best solution.

You may not need +2.5, as the water/air refraction index difference already magnifies by ~33%
Many thanks.

Twins bro. I had the exact same outcome after cataract surgery. That's my Rx. I use a regular mask with +2.0 gauge readers. Seavision makes an off the shelf mask that's perfect. I bought and travel with two JIC. Perfect for gauges and seeing small creatures.
Thanks. Very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom