New Room Tax ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would gladly pay more if it is actually going to be used for actual environmental issues. We go there cave diving a few times a year and coming back from the south end of the Island we cut up by the Humane Society building and I was appalled at the trash. There are cenotes in town and I refuse to dive them due to the sewage issue. I hope it is put to good use.

Yeh taxes are out of control
Everywhere, not just here.

I’m Not so sure that new eco tax is only for hotels- I have a meeting with my accountant today and im Going to ask about this new tax and where all we will be seeing it. I sure hope dive shops aren’t liable for this tax as well!

I would gladly pay more if it is actually going to be used for actual environmental issues. We go there cave diving a few times a year and coming back from the south end of the Island we cut up by the Humane Society building and I was appalled at the trash. There are cenotes in town and I refuse to dive them due to the sewage issue. I hope it is put to good use.
Yeah, and extra 25 Pesos = $1⅓ USD per room night, even if some conveniently round up to $1½, is not a major gouge - and I wouldn't mind at all if at least $1 after expenses actually got used on sound ecological practices. We know how those things go, tho: Everyone is going to try to skim.

Ok here’s the skinny:

The ECO tax applies only to hotels, condos, vacation rentals in Cozumel:

There are some exemptions from this added tax:
  • Residents of Q.Roo are exempt
  • Guests over 60 years old are exempt
  • Physically Handicapped persons are exempt
It is an added environmental
Tax due to the extra electricity, trash, water, etc used by rental Properties which actually makes sense.

Please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thanks, Christi.
Residents of Q.Roo are exempt
Ok, it is a tourist tax but kind to all citizens of the state.

Guests over 60 years old are exempt
Ah, shucks. How kind. I wonder if my hole in the wall chosen hotel knows that?

Tax due to the extra electricity, trash, water, etc used by rental Properties which actually makes sense.
Yeah, kinda. Except it'll just go to general funding and not earmarked for environmental work. I try to conserve electricity, trash, water, etc when there even tho it does not save me anything, so I'll try for the old foggie discount. :wink:

Thanks, Christi.

Ok, it is a tourist tax but kind to all citizens of the state

Well keep in mind that as residents were already paying all kinds of different taxes - so for residents it would be like double taxation In a way.

Ok here’s the skinny:

Yeah ... I'm sure all the AirBnB and VRBO owners are lining up to pay their (new) tax bills....

Ok here’s the skinny:

There are some exemptions from this added tax:
  • Residents of Q.Roo are exempt
  • Guests over 60 years old are exempt
  • Physically Handicapped persons are exempt

Please don’t shoot the messenger.
Ha! I demand a refund!

Looking at my email confirmation for my actual booking, the figures actually work out a little higher with 15.4% taxes, but actual room rate of $36.42, and I give up. No more analyzing.
I said no more analyzing, but I couldn't resist double checking - and I was wrong last night. I'm booked at 690.35 Pesos/night ($36.30USD :) ), but my taxes and fees are indeed 19% more. I hate it when I goof on a calculator, but I guess I did.

So, I guess they plan to add the 250 Pesos/night to that. I hope they know that old foggies are excempt.

Back
Top Bottom