New Room Tax ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Booked my April dive holiday today, Along with the booking form I got a notice that said "We wanted to inform you about a new government tax which is $25 pesos per room per night". :shakehead: When was this implemented ? I'm sure that it is probably just "another fee" that the government collects to supplement their coffers.

Divegoose

How many weeks a year in Cozumel makes you a non tourist? LOL

Is that $25 or 25 pesos???

25 US dollars per night per room would be one heck of a tax... I'm going to bet its 25 pesos. Which is a little more than one US dollar. Similar to the proposed (or has it already been implemented?) tourist tax on the PDC-Coz ferries.

Probably all of them. If you leave the island at all, you're a tourist. Just my guess, I know nothing about tourist tax details.

Probably all of them. If you leave the island at all, you're a tourist. Just my guess, I know nothing about tourist tax details.
Assuming it works like most hotel taxes in other countries, even if you are a resident, you'd be paying this if you stayed in a hotel. Although maybe there is a form for residents to claim a rebate, if it truly is a tourist tax and not a hotel tax. It would be a huge burden on hotels to have to determine residence status of occupants.

It was a joke - as many on here seem to make multiple visits to Cozumel every year....

I believe it came into effect Jan. 1. It's a new tourist tax.

It wasn't that long ago that the tax was raised from 14% to 19%.

Wonder if they are getting tax advice from someone in the Canadian government :cry: Tax anything and everything......

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom