New Room Tax ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sales tax is 16% and has been for several years. There is also a 3% lodging tax so that makes it 19% for lodging

The new tax is an Eco tax. Here is an English explanation of it from the letter we received with one of our hotel partners. I am not yet clear on which businesses and services it applies to, but I have a message into my accountant to ask about it.

upload_2019-1-16_14-55-40.png

It was a joke - as many on here seem to make multiple visits to Cozumel every year....

If you are not a full-time resident of the island, you are a tourist.

I paid the additional tax checking out of my hotel Saturday. It was 9.80 usd or 175 pesos for 7 nights. The hotel explained it was a new enviromental tax that was not included in my prepaid reservation.

It was a joke - as many on here seem to make multiple visits to Cozumel every year....

I know I know... I get your joking: some people make enough trips to Coz in a year that they actually live there (or feel like they do) more than they do at home.

My reply was kind of joking also... even if you live in Coz 51 weeks out 52, they'd still classify you as a tourist because you go home for that one week!

I paid the additional tax checking out of my hotel Saturday. It was 9.80 usd or 175 pesos for 7 nights. The hotel explained it was a new enviromental tax that was not included in my prepaid reservation.

Good to know... we're heading to Coz next week. I'll plan on an extra few hundred pesos for the tax.

My reply was kind of joking also... even if you live in Coz 51 weeks out 52, they'd still classify you as a tourist because you go home for that one week!

I don't know about that. If you were born there but travel abroad for a week or a month or more, would you be a tourist?

I don't know about that. If you were born there but travel abroad for a week or a month or more, would you be a tourist?

If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is there to hear it... does it make a sound? I have no idea. The entire line of "who's a tourist?" questioning was tongue-in-cheek.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the tax applies to hotels and similar lodgings... which are typically not used by residents. And for a buck a night (per room, which means I'm splitting the cost with my brother on my upcoming trip) it's a few bucks for the week.

It is interesting to note the "generous" exchange rate being quoted: 25 pesos or $1.50 US. I'd rather pay in pesos, please... just on principle.

$25 pesos or $1.50usd - the symbol for the peso is the same as the dollar
Yeah, I try to remind myself to discuss money on this forum with the complete designations, like $25MXN = $1.50USD, at a convenient exchange rate.

I just spot checked a hotel night there on Hotels.com in USDs: $110.39 + Taxes and fees of $22.47. That does indeed look like 19% taxes (16% sales + 3% lodging) = $20.97 plus $1.50 for a T&F total of $22.47. It's a sad truth that locations love taxing guests as much as they think they can, almost everywhere. Most of that income goes to general funds, seldom earmarked for tourism - just gouging your visitors. 19% + 1.5 is pushing it tho.

My bigger pet peeve is Resort Fees. I despise that extra charge that a hotel can add after comparative shopping rates. I generally reject those when discovered on principal, but they're getting so common in some locations. In the US, Congress had to thump airlines to make them include all required fees in their stated prices, altho they love add-ons still, making money on bags, seat selections, snacks, anything that works. One obscure airline recently suggested tipping flight crews. This airline is asking passengers to tip their flight attendants

Odd observation. I just checked my chosen hotel for next month's visit on Hotels.com. The room choice menu is crazy with all sorts of prices, little explanation. Hmmm. Anyway, I selected the $38USD rate I previously booked for 8 nights, and it shows $304.04 plus $43.89 Taxes and fees, then separately $10.59 Mandatory fees collected at hotel.

I can only guess where the extra 4¢ came from; probably from Peso to Dollar conversions and rounding at some step. The 43.89 is only 14.44% - oops. Someone needs to fix their booking system. The extra $10.59 for 8 nights = $1.324/night, which is about $25MXN at today's true rates.

Looking at my email confirmation for my actual booking, the figures actually work out a little higher with 15.4% taxes, but actual room rate of $36.42, and I give up. No more analyzing. Good enough bottom line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom