New Rig....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it's quite the long story, but no, I haven't been diving on it.

Long story short, I had my appendix out on Christmas Eve, and was given the O.K. to travel on my cruise about a week later. On that cruise, I got extremely sick, and had to get off the ship in Jamaica and have emergency (life saving) surgery on New Year eve to remove 2 liters of blood from my stomach cavity due to complications with the original surgery.

So! Had to get off the cruise on the 2nd day, so no diving there. As part of the second surgery, I got split pretty much sterum to below my waistline, and it was necessary to cut through my abdominal wall of muscles. Since my muscles are on the rebound (have to grow back together), I can't lift anything over 20 pounds...so no diving for me for the next month or so.

It SUCKS to have this beautiful thing sitting in front of me, and it's had no use! I got a 7' hose, and next up is a thicker wetsuit for my cavern class! :D

Thanks for the thoughts..

Danny

Looks like you have a nice rig set up for some enjoyable diving.
scubastud16:
I do get a bit of the "butt floss" effect, and I want a butt D-ring for clipping off reels eventually, so I will make the switch over sometime soon.
Switch over, or stay with 1”, in the long run it won’t make a big difference and you can still put a butt ring on a 1”strap. I have plates with a 1” and with a 2” strap, and I no longer notice any difference.
scubastud16:
With the computer......to be honest, I can't afford anything else. Optimally, I'd love to have a wrist mount and a B&G, but I just can't afford it.
And what you have now will be just fine! You might want to try clipping it in different places, to see where it works best (e.g. to the scooter ring vs chest D-ring).
scubastud16:
Double edit: Oh, and I promise, I'm losing the hose protectors tomorrow.
Well, the blue one is color coordinated, at least. And, see how civilized SB has become! Nobody said anything about the slap strap! J
daviddomus:
and it will by far better if you glue your pocket to your wet suit, with only a small glue tube will be perfect.
Interesting suggestion. Actually, I would be curious about how you like the thigh pocket. Never heard anyone comment on them one way or the other. So, follow up with a post after you dive it for a while.

As you tweak the rig get a bicycle tube and cut it up into one inch pieces. You can use two-three to streamline your lp hose on to the inflator. To secure extra webbing, etc.

MBH;
I do get a bit of the "butt floss" effect, and I want a butt D-ring for clipping off reels eventually, so I will make the switch over sometime soon.

With the computer......to be honest, I can't afford anything else. Optimally, I'd love to have a wrist mount and a B&G, but I just can't afford it. It's high up on the "to do" list.

yeah, you'll DEFINATELY want a 2" crotch strap. if you're not scootering, tuck that ring out of the way. you can clip a reel off to the butt D ring or your LHS hip ring. you don't want to clip it off to the front for two reasons. 1) it will hang down and be an entanglement hazard as well as 2) possibly damaging whatever you're swimming over.

remember, this rig is a uniform. even though it might seem easier to operate your "uniform" differently than people are telling you, there is a reason for it. don't start out with bad habits and then later have to re-learn new habits....start out the right way. "uniform" has two meanings they both apply here.

if you got your $800 computer for free, why not ebay it? you should get a good price and be able to pick up a great wrist comp.

on another note, I have 1" crotch strap for sale:rofl3:

If your computer is the standard hockey puck style... You should be able to get a wrist mount for it for around $20

And, see how civilized SB has become! Nobody said anything about the slap strap!

With my "long" hair, I'll never dive another day without a slap strap, that thing is the best!

if you got your $800 computer for free, why not ebay it? you should get a good price and be able to pick up a great wrist comp.

It's used, so I couldn't get the kind of money out of it I'd like (used less than 20 dives, but used none the less), plus it's a great computer.

If your computer is the standard hockey puck style... You should be able to get a wrist mount for it for around $20

Unfortunately, it's a larger AI unit, so no wrist mount for me. I wish though!

I tried diving with the thigh pocket a couple times... Maybe 6-7 dives... I cut the loops off the back, bought some Goop, and glued that motha on quickly afterwards.

Try clipping the computer off on your right shoulder D-ring, might take in some of the slack(but maybe too much - worth a try).

I'm using a 1" crotch strap, I wish I had gone with the 2"er, but its not a big enough issue for me to go set one up. I just rigged up a D-ring on it, because I wanted to clip reels off to it as well.

Holy cow man, best of luck to you!

Thanks man!

Mat;

The only thing I'm worried about clipping it off to the right D-ring is that I'll have to keep it under the long hose, to make sure I don't restrict it in case I need to deploy it.

Thanks man!

Mat;

The only thing I'm worried about clipping it off to the right D-ring is that I'll have to keep it under the long hose, to make sure I don't restrict it in case I need to deploy it.

You also might find that just tucking it under your waist strap works out OK. I've got a SPG on the left side and a hose connected computer on right along with long hose and necklage reg. Never had any problems with stuff getting mixed up. Also have a non-AI computer on wrist, so everything is redundant. I have been thinking about dropping the hose connected computer and just relying on the SPG or maybe switching to a hoseless type. Still thinkng about that though. Like others have said, reworking your kit to fit your diving over time is some of the fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom