New Ri, Ma Shore Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Am seeking locals' info. on finding new sites. I'll be driving up a couple of Fri. afternoons from NY in July. Maybe some spots in RI--Narragansett Bay or in Mass.--either side of C. Cod--C. Cod Bay or even Buzzards Bay (that would be closer). I'm looking for any place where I can ---legally---park, gear up at the car and a short walk to the entry--like no more than 5 minutes--not 1/4 mile, etc. Not fussy about depth--10-15' is fine.
I have been to the following, so will eliminate them: MA: all the C. Ann sites (too far), Sandwich Town Beach (near Sagamore Br.), in RI: Ft. Wetherill, Green Bridge, Kings Beach.

What is "beavertail"?--Is that in RI near Ft. Wetherill? Canoe Beach? (or is that in Maine somewhere?)

Am hoping there are some out of the way spots that are not usually discussed on SB, so thanks in advance if anyone can come up with something.

Beavertail is RI - yes close to Weabtherill.

NJ is off your list? LOL. :eek:

NJ shore dives: Allenhurst Jetty, Manasquan R. Railroad Br., Shark River. Been there, got the T shirt. Any other NJ locations within' a decent days drive of NY area?

Ok - so RI is better in my opinion unless you can make it up to Cape Ann MA.

That said 2 NJ freshwater dives - I found interesting the Beer Train Wreck on the NJ/PA border and the town on the bottom of Round Valley Reservoir - Round Valley opens in April and it is cold water till it warms up. When are you in the area?
Freshwater Dive Sites - New Jersey Scuba Diving

Other thought is Long Island but I have not dove there yet - Shinnecock Inlet or the Old Ponquogue Bridge - long drive but I heard good stories...
Dive Sites - Long Island - East - New Jersey Scuba Diving

I may look into Garbage Beach, but the parking early could be a problem--maybe since it will be a Friday and not weekend that could work.
I too have heard about those LI sites, but of course they are tide dependent & I must go on a specific day. I have dived a number of other (N. Shore) LI places with some OK results--nothing great.
B.R.--Thanks, but not interested in fresh water.

So you may be surprised to know we get tropicals and seahorses up from the gulf coast in July, Aug and Sept...
View media item 200196
I hadn't heard of seahorses coming up. But not surprised--we had Triggerfish last Aug. in Nova Scotia. Blew my mind, as I always see them in winter on the N. Gulf Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom