Shore Dives in/near Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not bad at all. Ample parking, 2 benches to sit on and gear up. Less than 100ft walk from car to water. There is a little path down to the beach. But it isn't anything to complain about. I've seen people dive doubles at the spot. Although younger than I, they didn't seem to be troubled at all.

Check out SECONN Divers. They do alot of shore diving and boat diving (charters) in the area. Seconndivers.org

Green bridge is my favorite spot, very sprawling and plenty to see on multiple dives. Kings beach is also good, get on the seaward side of bird island and you can get so really good diving. Inside the island is more protected and is a nice beginner dive.

Land’s End is a great spot, but parking is a hassle for people without a permit hi usually off load gear and park at a bird sanctuary a mile away and walk back. Not particularly deep, lots of good topography, plenty of fish life and better than average RI shore visibility.

Ft Adams I have never been that excited about, boring topography and right next to main channel.

Beaver tail has some good diving, I have been to the site shown in the Aerial photo, wind and tides are critical. Hour before high tide, and in the lee of the wind. Your exit point is small and you don’t get many option to get out. Being close to the southern tip of the island, next stop block island if get caught in a current.

At parking lot 3 on the other side of beaver tail there is also decent diving. Again, it is exposed, so pick your dives carefully. Being in the lee of the wind will keep you from getting the stuffing knocked out of you on entry and exit.

Narragansett has some interesting spots. Always been meaning to swim out to the barge off the town beach, but never got around to it. Max depth 15-20’.

Narragansett pier is was a popular spot for training dives. I have only done couple of dive there and was never super impressed.

Hazard ave is a really great dive dropping off to 50’, but it is named that for a reason. Really have to plan you entry and exit strategy carefully. I dove it in college and went back to look at it a few years ago and decided I was stupid in college....

Bass Rock (Narragansett) was a fun dive, shallow but interesting. Lots of portage of gear over large boulders.

Hey Guys,

I moved to RI about a year ago and have continued to do most of my diving up at Cape Ann, but I'm looking for some local dive sites in/around Rhode Island that would be decent. So far I've done a handful of dives at Fort Wetherill. I've also heard that Beavertail and King's Beach are options.

Any information about the sites listed above or recommendations of any others in the area?

PM me I'm about ready to get in the water. Saw today that Newport water temp broke 60F at 60.1.

Almost any dive around here needs to timed with the tides for various reasons. I've found the best vis at FTW 1hr before to 1hr after low tide. Green Bridge is best at high tide slack, as is Kings Beach. Ft Adams can have a very strong current in the East Passage as well as a lot of boat traffic. FTW also has Bull Point which can be a nice drift dive but rough ingress and egress.

You'll be very disappointed with the local vis as compared to Cape Ann. In my younger days I drove 4hrs round trip monthly to Rockport just for the vis.

safe diving

Back
Top Bottom