Shore Dives in/near Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lsparks92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Guys,

I moved to RI about a year ago and have continued to do most of my diving up at Cape Ann, but I'm looking for some local dive sites in/around Rhode Island that would be decent. So far I've done a handful of dives at Fort Wetherill. I've also heard that Beavertail and King's Beach are options.

Any information about the sites listed above or recommendations of any others in the area?

Beavertail: park in lot down near lighthouse. Walk down cliff. Enter at sandy beach area. Good dive, usually not crowded, better Vis than Wetherill.

Kings is @CT-Rich spot. He could tell you what you want to know there.

Also add Ft. Adams to your list.

In the Rockport area, Cathedral Rocks and Folley Cove are the best shore sights.

Beavertail looks like it can be tricky. Best if you go with someone experienced diving there.

@swimlikethefish I'm pretty well versed in the Cape Ann dive sites, I would agree that both of those sites are great though!

I'll have to add Fort Adams to the list. Where would one typically do their entry from? I've taken the dog for a walk around fort adams but there was only a small beach out by the point that they didn't seem too keen to have people at, but maybe that was because they were prepping for the jazz fest.

@Bubblesong I have talked to friends who are in dive clubs and they said that most of what they do is off of each others boats. stating that the shore dives to do in the area are essentially the ones that we have on the list we have created so far.
The divebuddy page pretty much says the same thing with the addition of a few local ponds that don't have great reviews.

The only ones I can add are Greenbridge, in Newport, and Sandwich Town Beach. Greenbridge is a swim out and needs to be timed correctly with the tide. Sandwich is a bit of a drive but has become my favorite spot.

There are a few boat dives that I hear are good, but never been on. Gooseberry arches gets the most buzz. Giant Stride dive shop in Warwick tends to schedule quite a few boat dives so check their website.

Welcome to RI!

Erik

Fort Adams Spot. I park at 'x' and enter water at 'o'.
20190616_203607.jpg

Beavertail: park at 'x' enter at 'o'. You can follow either dotted line.

Screenshot_20190616-203921_Maps.jpg

Fort Adams Spot. I park at 'x' and enter water at 'o'.

How is it going in there? I’ve always parked further up by the gate and entered at that beach area, 2 beach areas up from you, then headed south. I probably turn once I get a little south of where you enter.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom