• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New rEvo BOV

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by stuartv, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Brad_Horn

Brad_Horn Nassau Grouper

While the ALVBOV has been designed to support significantly deeper diving than 40m; having been tested as quite safe for use to 350m. It also is injection molded and I’d argue that whilst most rebreather divers are use to seeing delrin machined BOVs, which are cheap to one off for prototype purposes, injection molding doesn’t equal cheaper. Until you sell enough to breakeven but it does offer a better product.

As a positive the sunk cost investment by Mares in the tooling means they intend to produce quite a number of identical BOVs.
    As a negative, unless it is found to fail CE testing, you’re not going to see any improvements in WOB. And from the sounds of things they have no intention of actually testing its WOB. As the cost of the tooling is too high to make it economically feasible to redo. Which is why OSEL doesn’t supply a left to right gas flow option (ALVBOV is fixed right to left as required for CE) as the market simply isn’t there to justify the cost. The initial prototypes of the ALVBOV were 3D printed and went through many many variants to get the gas flow right. In addition to the flapper valve trials in regards to the CO2 bypass link above.

2. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Try again with a pdf this time?

The AGA type dual inhale-exhaust diaphragm allows a disconnected shrimp to flood on the OC side - it does not invert the diaphragm.

3. uwxplorer

uwxplorer Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Which is why a genuine review by an actual diver of the thing is so valuable (including the background info on the company's lack of official statement)...

cathal and rjack321 like this.
  4. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Oh I fully agree with you!
    I didn't even know there was a new BOV out there.

Peter69_56 likes this.
  5. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

But with the REVO, unless you have to get off the loop, just plug in any inflator hose into the MAV block and stay on the breather. On all my bail/deco tanks I have a secondary reg (good for me and other divers), and an LP hose so I can plug any tank into my breather if required. Heaps of flexibility, backup for other divers, and bail out for me. My BOV has a QD but only into my bottom gas.

Works for me

6. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

I am a little confused here about getting water into the solenoid? Are you suggesting to hook the offboard O2 to the onboard LP connector, thus water in the orifice will occur?

Why not if you need to, hook the O2 into the offboard LP connector and drive the unit manually?

7. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

Always test BOV OC predive. Part of my check list

8. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

Is there a gag strap for the divesoft BOV, as thats the BOV I currently have?

9. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I don't know. But, the rEvo gag strap fits onto the BOV just like any normal regulator mouthpiece. So, as long as the dimensions of the opening match up, the standard rEvo gag strap would probably work. Do you have either a standard rEvo one, or the standard rEvo DSV? If the Divesoft opening for the mouthpiece is the same size (or close) and design (as far as the single retention lip on the breathing orifice goes) as the stock Drager DSV opening, then the rEvo gag strap should work.

10. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

The REVO gag strap/mouthpiece is bigger than the Divesoft BOV fitting (from memory as I am currently not home). A standard reg mouthpiece fits the Divesoft

stuartv likes this.