new reg for a new divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

brand new to the forums here, but now ive found it i plan on being a regular contributor!! Alright so here's my query: I am a brand new DiveMaster (got my cert in the end of Nov) and my plan now is to head out into the deep blue future and start work either as a divemaster or OWSI (once i complete my IDC). Im still diving on a back inflate TUSA and TUSA 1st stage and reg (no specific name, it was package gear), which is horrible, and can't wait to get rid of it. I spent all of last year in Afghanistan, and saved all my money for this endevor, so after my DM and the IDC I'll still have a good chunk of cheese to spend on a new set of gear. So my question to the forum is, what 1st stage / reg (design, manifacturer or specific unit) is ideal for both work and play? What do I need to look for in a reg that i will be teaching / guiding in? Is there a reg that is great for teaching, but is also great if i just want to go out and get wet on a recreational basis?

As you can see im somewhat accross the board right now when trying to make this desision. This is gear that i plan on keeping for a good while, so it needs to be the right choice, especially as once you buy it and dive with it you can't return it!!

Any help would be most apreciated!!

Jordan

Well welcome to scuba...I responded on your other post...next time it might be easier to just post on one thread....Something you want to look for is a reg thats comfortable, easy breathing, small, and durable. Instructors that I deal with really like Sherwood Oasis and blizzard for these reasons. The main thing they like about them is all of the above are satisfied and also when they are done diving and talking with the students, no dry mouth due to the moisture bars inside that take some moisture from each exhale and it collects on the surface, then on the inhale, it is grabbed by the air. Say good bye to dry mouth....

Mike,

yeah i just wasn't sure if folks here on the forums prefered threads dedicated to specific issues. Next time ill combine! I like the sound of no dry mouth....I hadn't really considered that until you brought it up.

If you are going to work for a shop, they might require that you use gear that is sold in their shop. However, they might give you a killer deal on your purchase of the gear.

stoddu:
If you are going to work for a shop, they might require that you use gear that is sold in their shop. However, they might give you a killer deal on your purchase of the gear.

He made a good point, most shops like the DM's and instructores to use the gerar that they promote (plus give nice discounts).

Be sure to work for a good dive shop who sells A 1 dive products,These are the products that they will want you to use when you take out your group.
another nice thing about waiting to get your job first is you may get a really good deal on all your gear.
this will maybe help in your choices.
why not get the very best gear you can afford.
I like scuba pro and oceanic but its good to research each pruduct.
Be sure and get the best regulater you can afford

Most dive shops do require you to use the brands that they deal. It promotes those brands to their customers by showing that professionals use it. I lucked up by working for a shop that is a Scubapro dealer. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the MK25/S600 rig.
Depending on the shop that you work for, I know that some shops will not keyman gear for you until you have worked for them for a predetermined amount of time. I think this is a good idea for the shops due to the fact that some people take advantage of getting the gear at professional cost. On the other hand, if you're in some old, beat down gear, what message does that send to the customers on the boat?
Either way you look at it, find a reputable shop to work for, and with any luck, you will get the best gear for your money.
Oh yeah, congrats on your DM rating. Welcome to the world of no money, and loving you job.

scuba J congrats on DM thingy...now welcome to the real world..of sorts.

Your a glorified babysitter right now. There are going to be dives where your asking your self...what the hell????..and then the rewrading ones..and the best..the HOT chicks...then it becomes worth it...trust me.

As some may have mentioned...Hook up with a GOOD Dive operator it is a MUST!.
If you want to work in the industry as you mentioned...then that is the first step.

Second. Your reg of choice.. BALANCE!!!!! what ever you choose even if they supply you with a reg set..make sure it is a BALANCED system!!!!!! if it is not then buy your own and change dive operator.

Balance is the gooder of all. and also depends where you dive..get a reg set that is meant for extreme diving. Cold water regs are the answer to your question. Enviroment sealed, robust and easy to service. The ones that come to mind are ( in no order )..Mares Abbys, Apex XTX50-200, Scubapro MK 25/650..these ar some of the BEST..but try before you buy.

NEXT..GET RID OF THAT BC you have..CRAPPPPPP...get a backwing and harness set up. vest style BC is too bulky for what your going to be doing...get streamlined. Your trim will improuve bigtime. and your students, clients will be impressed with your underwater prowesss....plus it will help with the retail side of diving. especially if the dive shop/operator has that to sell.

Some advice from one DM to another.

Peace

Well I think calling his BC crap was a little much, if your not teaching your students bp/w then it may not be the most realistic for you to wear yourself.

Check out the Scubapro MK25/G250/R190 set. I have the earlier version with the MK20first stage, now 8 years old and it still runs like new. Breathes the same at 130 or at 10 feet. A good point also is Scubapro gives free parts with annual service, which adds up to big bucks after a few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom