New Red Sea tragedy and everlasting stupid bargain of power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not directed at this specific incident, but at several similar incidents I've read over recently. They all have deep dives on air with single tanks in common:

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Is there something at 200ft that's not at 100? If there is, is it worth seeing more than once?

Then do it right. Get the proper training, carry redundant gear, learn the risks, and then do the dive.

In sounds like that in this particular situation it was a possibility to meet hammerhead at about 60m (200ft) and Neptune at 100m (300ft)

The one surviving diver - Ales Laharnar - apparantly made a detailed account of the accident on this website:

Taucher.Net - Schwerer TU am 26.12. vor Marsa Shargra

His screen name is Aljo. The site is in German, but the divers account is in English

- Apparently the divers had agreed on a max depth of 50 meters, but Ales Laharnar suspects that the two other divers secretly planned to go deeper!

I admire the surviving diver after reading his own account of what had happened ,for trying to save his two buddies , even though he knew it might cost him his life.

Secondly , the effects of narcosis is again stressed by reading how he was unable to release the weights from the unconscious diver. He also almost blacked out, himself from trying to fin upwards with his buddy.......then to also barely being able to make out how much air he had left !

This diver must be well trained to be able to still do deep stops knowing he had very little air left !

Reading this account made my hair stand up because this diver was very lucky to survive ,and be coolheaded whilst ascending......luckily skilled enough and experienced enough !

I would say the point to give up would be right around when the diver suggested doing 200fsw dive with a single Al80 on air.

I must admit, I would refuse to dive to that depth on air in the first place. However if I was already in the water and my buddy started to sink, when would i stop? I guess it would depend on how narked I was, but as I said earlier, I don't think I'd know until I was faced with the situation.

Sounds like Mr. Osama was very courageous man. God rest his soul.

Thanks for posting this link.
Please be advised that while the story might be factual there, such is not commonly required on CDNN - a site of very questionable reputation. Links to that site were once blocked here on SB.

Does anyone know why did Osama miss 178 minutes of Dec stops? Making his ascent time from 95 meters to the surface in 3minutes though he knew its consequences due to his experience? what happened to him down there?
May God bless his soul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom