New Red Sea tragedy and everlasting stupid bargain of power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment on Red Sea politics, but I have heard four stories of people diving to 100m on air.

One was Gary Gentile, and he survived. One was Sheck Exley and he was survived. Both are (or were) famous and vastly experienced technical divers.

One was a pair of dive instructors in Cayman who tried to "bounce" to 100m and back for kicks. They were never seen again and the bodies were never recovered. This post is the fourth.

Unless you are a Gary Gentile or a Sheck Exley, don't do it.

You can bet that Gary Gentile used twin tanks, however. At least he did not run OOA.

There are after-market products available that allow you to clamp 2 single tanks together and attach them to your BPW, in the European configuration, without a manifold, if you don't have connected twin tanks available. Simply remove the redundant octo's from two independent regulator systems, plug the LP ports from your save-a-dive kit, and you are good to go.

Still, though, not a stunt that I would recommend.

RhoneMan, don't forget Hal "Mr. Scuba" Watts. To my knowledge he holds the recognized record on deep air. 390 ft.

Yeah, those "deep air" guys astonish me. I feel like I am on LSD from narcosis if I even get to 180 feet, and your O2 goes over 1.6 ATA at 218 feet. Don't get me started on the hypercarbia risks... you have to be very good or very mad to try for those depths. If I tried anything remotely like that, I am sure I would end up as a statistic.

I received this message today via email. It's CDWS official statement regading the incident.

---------------------
CDWS Official statement

Dear members, friends, colleagues and members of the diving community,

on behalf of CDWS board, Technical committee, members and staff – we would like to extend our condolences to all the families that lost their loved ones during the tragic accident in MARSA ALAM.

Although the accident is still under investigation; I find it essential and important to issue this statement to clarify facts and help demolish rumors.

I am – at this stage – entitled to release some info about the accident and it is summarized in the following points:

- The dive on the 26th Dec. 2008; was carried out at Marsa SHAGARA – Marsa alam

- Three divers were involved in the dive, one Danish, Slavonic ( who is an Instructor and trimix instructor) and one Egyptian (advanced diver, trimix Diver)

- The Danish and Slavic were diving together for a week before that dive on the house reef,

- The divers planned to go to depth of 50 – 60 meters with air to see Hammerheads sharks!!!,

- They had 15 liters tanks except the Egyptian had a 12litter,

- The Slavonic diver (instructor) was the only survival,

- According to the survived diver statement;

o he was filming with the Egyptian diver at 35 meters - when they look around for Mr. Foss he was already deep down and only bubbles could be seen,

o He went deeper and deeper to try to fetch Mr. Foss, could reach him only at about 95 meters,

o Mr. Foss was already unconscious and not breathing on the seabed and the regulator was out of his mouth,

o He tried to help him but failed and also failed to remove the integrated weight system due to his sever narcosis at that depth,

o When he realized he had only 70 bars left at 95 meters, he started his ascent,

o He also said that he signaled to the Egyptian diver to go up but could not be certain that he understood,

o He surfaced alone….

- On Saturday the 27th ; Mr. Osama Abdel Samad, a close friend of the missing Egyptian diver, decided by himself to do a search dive on the site,

- Mr. Osama – who is an employee of CDWS as an inspector, was advised and asked by his superiors and CDWS branch manager not to do any dives to search for the missing divers,

- Unfortunately, he has been emotionally motivated since one of the missing divers was a close friend of his, and he insisted to dive on his own,

- He dived on Saturday the 27th to 95 meters using TRIMX, and could not retrieve any missing divers, but he reported to people on site that he saw what he thinks it might be a shinning tank of one of the deceased divers,

- On the evening of the 27th , the head of the Technical committee called him on the mobile and advised him again NOT to dive again,

- Clearly explained that it is not part of his job to search for missing dives as a CDWS inspector, and specifically said that he should not do it and must wait for a tech search team if it is required,

- Upon him being insisted, he was asked not to push any limits, not to take any risks and never jeopardize his own safety. Unfortunately, there was no way to stop him……..He insisted that he will do it on personal bases because the missing diver is a close friend,

- On the 28th of Dec at 11 AM he dived with TRIMIX to MAX Depth of 100 meters, bottom time at that depth was 15 mins,

- According to the dive profile; Osama missed 178 minutes of Dec stops, his ascent time from 95 meters to the surface was 3minutes.

- Therefore, he surfaced with sever DCS and was moved to the recompression chamber in MARSA ALAM

- By Monday the 29th he did not improve and the doctors decided to transfer him to ELGONA Hospital,

- On the 31st he passed away…..

It is a tragic loss. Osama died trying to help his deceased friend and his loved ones.

We would like to ask all of our dear members, colleagues and diving community members to refrain from responding to any rumors as an act of respect the souls of the deceased.

Again we would like to extend my personal condolences to all friends, colleagues and family members and hope that this tragic accident will be the last.

My GOD bless their souls…

Sincerely,

Zeyad M. ELBassel
BM, Head of Technical Committee
---------------------

Thanks for posting. Is it me or does this official statement sound odd?

Experienced (trimix) divers planning to go to 50-60m on air??
No description of what happened to the Egyptian diver?
How can any diver not understand the signal to 'go up'?

Thanks for posting. Is it me or does this official statement sound odd?

Experienced (trimix) divers planning to go to 50-60m on air??
No description of what happened to the Egyptian diver?
How can any diver not understand the signal to 'go up'?
Of course you're right, but that's what I got from CDWS. Obviously a kind member from our community forwarded CDWS our discussions and requests for something official, and that's what they sent!

This is definitely a huge tragedy, 1 thing always stressed in the USA is to never make the tragedy worse by becoming part of it. No matter what & being close to the deceased diver would never be considered a reason to do the dive. Especially Solo & no this is not a knock on Solo divers as I am 1.
I know many trimix divers & plan on being 1 this spring & have never heard of anyone doing a trimix dive on single tanks. Is this common in the Red Sea?

I agree that this is a huge tragedy. Red Sea Shadow post provided some sense. At least it doesn’t sound as crazy as on original post. It looks that divers (at least two of them) were qualified to make this dive as planned. 60m short dive on air to see something special is not that unreasonable even with single Al80 for experience diver. 100m bottom made it more challenging though. And I definitely can’t judge decision to save buddy. I hope, I never find myself in such situation. And miscommunication at 95m on air is also understandable as well as attempt to retrieve body of a friend with available means.
One Q for trimix divers: How long you have to spent on 95m to accumulate 178min of total deco?

One Q for trimix divers: How long you have to spent on 95m to accumulate 178min of total deco?

I am not a trimix diver, but according to my deco software, you need to spend 16 minutes at 95m on air to accumulate a deco penalty of 179 minutes (and, it informs me, you would be in deep doo-doo on O2 toxicity).

Unless you have a lungs of a mouse, I am guessing you would run out of air at 95m or during your ascent if you only have 80 cu ft. According to the same deco software, at my SAC rate, I would need a minimum of 242 cu ft of gas to do that dive (assuming I lived through it).

60m short dive on air to see something special is not that unreasonable even with single Al80 for experience diver.

60m on air ?? How short is the dive going to be? 10 seconds?? I'm afraid I totally disagree with you when you say that is 'not that unreasonable'. If that's not unreasonable then I don't know what is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom