New Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank,

When and where do you plan on taking your new pony for a ride?

Timeliner:
I walk to the back of the Nationally known Farm and Ranch Store where I bought my Carhart Drysuit last week. ( I wear it after I dive :wink: )

LMAO. Funny story- I agree with Frank, real life can be the funniest- real people just being themselves.

Damn Frank, I almost fell out of my chair laughing. The story really hit home. I bought my pony gear at Atwoods (same as a Tractor Supply Company). Unfortunately, nobody asked me if I needed help.

FWIW- My pony sling is made from a dog leash, a brass D-ring with snap, 2 SS pipe clamps and 2 pieces of inner-tube to cover the clamps.

FD

Frank- Looks really good sir.

Something to continplate.
You might want to run a piece of surigical tubing or bungie from the back of your harness up to your front d-ring.
So when you attach the front d-ring- the tank will tend to hang.
Take the bungie and wrap it over the 1st stage it will hold it nice against your body and stop it from hanging as much.

Depending on the tank- you might want to get a single weight pocket- and add 1 lb to the butt of the tank. Aluminum tanks tend to ride up especially when the get light.

The only other thing I can think of is if you have plastic d-rings.
Then tend to shatter under heavy weight.
I can show you how to thread some 2” webbing from the back of your bc, and that makes an easy attachment point.
That’s what I use for my canister lights.

Options-
Din Valve would be good- depending if your 1st stage accepts the 232 din fitting.

Also if it is for really nasty stuff- I prefer a 5ft hose that hangs over my right shoulder. Then I can stuff it into my mouth.

LP- hose. If you were to blow out your primary air source- how do you plan to inflate your bc to start your upward movement? I have a Lp just in case I need a little lift…. Up. Because with a 7mm suit and lots of weight I need to hold most of that weight for my stops and controlling a already nightmarish ascent. My buddies know to NEVER ditch my weight at depth. This might require a 3ft hose and a lp adapter for the connection at the end of the hose.

Ask me sometime about the spectators a Clear Springs and sinking without attaching my inflater hose on my first sidemount rig- too funny. :popcorn: :rofl3:

AWESOME job sir.

Regards, Andrew

Thanks Andrew...

A DIN Valve is a better plan for sure. The tank has a pro valve on it so it will accept either a DIN or a Yoke. I just happened to have that reg. set up already so I used it. It had a Aux. port with an inflater hose but I took it off. People tell me I'm a Blow Hard so Manually Inflating the BCD it shouldn't be too much of an issue right? :D

""Ha"" ... I knew you would agree :mooner:

I have a Bungee idea in mind that will attach to the back of my BCD. It sort of campares to the systems they use in Base Jumping. I can use it the next time we have to drop down a cliff face to get to the water like we did at Lake Murray a while back. It should be a big help with the entry at that location.
Now... if I can just come up with a system to get us back up that cliff...:D

Hey Frank all looks good man.......looks like you have met the needs of a rec pony bottle sling for a whole lot less cost. I bet that SPG is velcroed...I have an idea I will share with you next time we visit? Did you get the lp plug I sent you? Great job..... :)

I was really hoping this was another pony bottle battle, But I was not disapointed. Very good stories Frank.

Remember though you will die if you dive with a pony. . .

Timeliner:
Here is what I have so far. Gals will understand it's kinda like Sandra Lee does on the Food Network it's Semi-Homemade. :wink:

http://frankpoye.com/scuba/pony.html
:

Frank,
Glad to see this addition to your setup. This means the odds are now in our favor that we are going to continue enjoying your entertaining posts for many years. Now the next step should be to get yourself up to speed on gas planning. That way you will know in a worst case senerio the limits of that 19cf. and most important not to exceed its limititations.

Again Kudos on the sling bottle.
Dave

texdiveguy:
Hey Frank all looks good man.......looks like you have met the needs of a rec pony bottle sling for a whole lot less cost. I bet that SPG is velcroed...I have an idea I will share with you next time we visit? Did you get the lp plug I sent you? Great job..... :)

Actually.. that SPG has a small bungee on the back to keep in place. You just can't see it in the photos. That lp plug is probably in my mailbox right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom