New or service my Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's zero reason to get a MK17, unless you're diving in very cold water, because the MK11 is almost exactly the same regulator without the sealed environmental chamber.

Get yours serviced if you have any concerns about it. It's not surprising to me that it has lasted 11 years/350 dives without a service, but if it were mine, I'd consider a rebuild at this point. Of course, it could keep working fine for another season or two, but eventually it will start to leak or have IP creep.

No, it’s not.
Actually I agree, but the numbers are against you. You'd have to ask the hundreds of thousands? of MK25 users about that.
The OP already has SP 2nds so can get it all serviced at one shop conveniently.

Thanks for the overly INFORMATIVE post though. :rofl3:

PS 2020 is calling. They want to know when you and Bob (rhwestfall) are going to leave the 70's behind for good.

There's a shop owner reg servicer here that services and adjusts by the book not by the brain
and when his customers come back he adjusts them again and when he does cruise ship regs

they don't come back

ever again

I have an 11 year old Scuba Pro MK 11 regulator. 350-375 warm water dives, never serviced, still functions fine.
Question: Should I service this ($130-175) or move up to a new reg? I was looking at a 2018 Aqua Lung Titan, $399 total cost. I’m not worried about the $, more curious if the MK 11 is an “oldie but goodie” and needs to be saved, or is the “new stuff” better?
Anyone?

I would service it and not bother with the AL regulator at all. It is a great regulator and is still better than the AL.

Actually I agree, but the numbers are against you. You'd have to ask the hundreds of thousands? of MK25 users about that.
The OP already has SP 2nds so can get it all serviced at one shop conveniently.

Thanks for the overly INFORMATIVE post though. :rofl3:

PS 2020 is calling. They want to know when you and Bob (rhwestfall) are going to leave the 70's behind for good.
Dude, the reg you are referring to is not environmentally sealed. Get your facts straight before typing.

Another vote here for deep 6.

Attachments

• 52254640-A69A-4A4D-A4A0-10F84E82C203.jpeg
    52254640-A69A-4A4D-A4A0-10F84E82C203.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 65
$130-175 seems very high to me. I thought my bill of $55 to get my Scubapro MK10 done was high. I`ll be doing my own from now on as you can get the kit for $15
I've posted the response that follows probably a half dozen times in the last few years. Looks like it's time for a repeat...

I fix regs for the love of it. I fix regs for my local shops when they get overloaded. I've been doing it a long time. I'm certified by 75% of the manufacturers out there. Having established some bonafides, let me say this:
Reg repair is not difficult, but it is painstaking and precise. The physics are simple; the practice is not.
Repair and service is generally a money loser for a dive shop. If you pay your tech $20/hr + benefits, you can barely make it up. Big repair centers excepted.
Properly servicing a salt water reg set (three pieces plus BCD hose plus HP spool) takes three hours (tho' not all at one time, so you can maybe do two sets at once in a small shop with limited bench space).
Your employee cost of ~$27/hr x 8 hours is $216.
Disassemble three regs and wash the sand out of the second stage diaphragms. Segregate the metal parts and protect the orifices and piston knife edge in separate containers and put them in the ultrasonic to remove verdigris corrosion. 25 min.
Come back after working on another set of regs and pull out the parts. Rinse in clean water x 2. Air dry each part with filtered clean air for immediate reassembly. 15 min.
Pull out the kits and lay out the cleaned reg pieces. Inspect the orifices under a microscope and hand polish the nicks with Micromesh (50% of the time). 5-20 min.
Disassemble, clean and lube the bcd connector (don't lose the ball bearings!) and spool. Relace the o-rings.15 min.
Reassemble the three regs and tune IP and cracking effort. 30 min if easy brands and clean regs, 60+ min for challenging models like multiple old D-series Scubapro's. Not to mention a Pilot.
Write out the findings, prepare the bill and package the regs for the customer; 15 min.

So like I said, you can do six sets (18 regs) a day, properly. If your tech is inexperienced, or drops a tiny part behind the bench, or spends 20 min leafing through the service manual, then maybe half that many.
At $30 per stage, that's $540 in labor max to the shop, and maybe $5-20 per kit profit to the shop. Call it $700 total. Or maybe half that. So for the use of a whole employee for a whole day (who may call in sick and needs to have mfr "training" every three years at $200 per brand carried in the shop, plus travel and hotel), the shop earns $300-400 max, NOT including the cost of shop space, air, lube, etc.

An LDS can earn that much profit selling just two thick wetsuits.
And that explains why most shops do not service regs properly. Most shops use parts changers who churn through regs, and nick your orifice. I started servicing for myself years ago, after my shop charged me for a "torn diaphragm". My regs never had a torn diaphragm! The tech did it in haste.

So if you find a shop you trust, $90 for a set plus parts is cheap! Good service is exceedingly hard to find. Will they run a flow test for you to find out where your second stage's venturi crosses over to freeflow? Do they even know what I just said? Will they take the time (unpaid) to explain it all to you?

I service my Apeks regs because they are dead easy as long as you can source the service kits.
It is NOT rocket science. Do it diligently and you will be fine.

Alternatively, pay someone to do it.

If you have too much money then replace the regs every few yrs or every year.

It is a great regulator, get it serviced. I am still using a Poseidon reg that is more than 25 years old and breathes as well as the new regulators! Scubapro's are bulletproof and will function forever if taken care of. Find a reputable shop to provide the service and make sure to replace the hoses as after 11 years it is definitely time, I replace mine every 5 years or when they show too much wear, whichever comes first! A $20-$30 hose is not worth your life! By the way, what second stage is on your reg the mk11 was available with several.

Personally I'd just get it serviced. Unless you need sealed, performance wise you'll notice no difference with any other first stage. I've serviced a few MK11/MK17, a few more parts than an Apeks but no more difficult, and when I say no more difficult I mean relatively easy, if even just a little mechanically inclined.

Back
Top Bottom