Question Do I need to get my brand new regulator serviced before my dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Blue Key

Blue Key

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I'm new to diving and this forum. I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, I could find out. So; 2 years ago I got a new set of Aqualung Helix Pro regulators. I have not used this on land or in water, and have been storing them in a dry environment. The manual says service is required every 2 years. Is it necessary for me to get them serviced before diving with them. Technically I'm past the 2 years. Thanks!

I would say no. Its never seen salt water or chlorine so it is no different than sitting on a store shelf for a couple years.

Is this something they charge money for? If that is the case, what would something like that cost?
If you walk into a random shop, they will charge you for an inspection and function check. I don't know how much. Maybe $50? Ask first.

But if you take it to the shop you bought it from, they may do it as a favor. Same thing if you are going on a trip somewhere and doing several dives with one op. Ask in advance.

All that really needs to be done is to hook it to a tank, hit the purge a few times and make sure it isn't hissing. If you want to do a thorough check by yourself, you'll need to borrow or rent a tank and then follow the instructions here:

Or maybe you can dive it in a pool before you go on a trip. Some dive shops with pools have open hours.

I recall taking a brand new Poseidon Odin on a Great Lakes wreck dive for its inaugural dive. Switched out either a SP D400 or G250 for the Poseidon. Although the Poseidon functioned okay, it breathed like a dog compared to the SP. After I voiced my displeasure during my surface interval, one of the divers with me (I can't recall now whether it was the owner of my LDS from which I purchased the Poseidon, or the captain of the six-pack we were diving from, who dove Poseidon exclusively) took a few minutes to adjust my new Poseidon's second stage. The Poseidon breathed like a dream, down deep, during my repetitive dive.

Upshot: I agree with the people above who suggest that it's prudent for you to first "function-check" your "new" reg (that's been sitting awhile, unused), and then take it for a "real" dive somewhat before you leave for your dive vacation. Leave yourself enough time so that your reg can be adjusted and function-checked and dived again after the service, before you leave for vacation.

rx7diver

For a new never used reg, I'd just spend a few bucks on a QD IP gauge, confirm a steady (no creep) acceptable range of about 135 + or - ..............and then go diving... Then you'll own the gauge and can do future checks.

So you're unlikely to need a service but will you be comfortable with that as it's better how it is than if you have it serviced as it should whichever should that is have been set up properly so just dive it as it doesn't need service, but may need adjustment, so take it to the shop they will check it quick but regs
can sit around for years without going wrong which they usually do when they are newly serviced and you are in the very far reaches, and it doesn't need servicing if it's been sitting on a shelf but checking could or could not cost you money but if you borrow, rent a tank you can test yourself and also dive it
in a pool even the dive shops pool maybe someone on the boat can fix it so get it checked and dive it and dive it again after the service, and before you go on your holiday and you should buy an ip gauge

I'd only really be worried if it was built by Boeing....

But on a serious note, where was the regulator originally purchased? Was it tuned then by the (assuming) shop?

Generally, you shouldn't need to service it, but if you can't answer that question, getting it checked is likely prudent...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom