New old Poseidon score

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Somewhere along the line - probably due to lockdown induced insanity, I've picked up a new hobby - scouring the market places for regulators in the lead up to the now famed @rsingler regulator course - Europe/Asia-Pac edition in a couple of weeks time. I now have way more regulators than I could ever hope to be able to use, but I still couldn't pass up this for 120 Aussie pesos

Came with original bag, instruction manual and Poseidon branded ziplok baggy with port plugs and allen key :)

Looks to me like a 2960 along with two almost immaculate (on the outside) Jetstreams. Judging by the condition of the hoses that came with it, I'd say that the sticker on the back of the SPG is an accurate gauge of their age.

Judging by the state of the HP spool and the effort that it took to get the yoke adapter off, I reckon there might be some time in the ultrasonic bath in the near future..

I'd like to know what the LCD window on the SPG is though - I've not seen one of these before. Is it some basic digital depth gauge / computer? A simple dive timer? I thought the cap on the back might be a battery compartment, but it appears to be a diaphragm. Or am I being a bit optimistic thinking the battery is replaceable?

IMG_20210923_231147.jpg IMG_20210923_231218.jpg IMG_20210923_231135.jpg IMG_20210923_231158.jpg IMG_20210923_231259.jpg IMG_20210923_231537.jpg IMG_20210923_231550.jpg

I have had depth gauges with a built in bottom timer, the battery was replaceable. I have not seen that on a pressure gauge though. But here is one: https://tinyurl.com/4rfmftp2

Looking at the front of the SPG you should be able to unscrew the face plate so to replace the battery.

Looking at the front of the SPG you should be able to unscrew the face plate so to replace the battery.

I thought of that, and managed to get the front plate off. There's two screws holding everything in place, but it looks like the needle has to come off to get the clock face out, and I'm not sure how to do that without damaging it.

Oops. That could be a fatal removal, unless you can get the oring seal perfect again when you replace the faceplate.
I think I see two dimples on the back for a face spanner, and a clear window which looks very much like like the back of the battery compartment for a Suunto.
Try removing the cover on the back of the gauge, and see if there's a battery underneath.

Oops. That could be a fatal removal, unless you can get the oring seal perfect again when you replace the faceplate.
I think I see two dimples on the back for a face spanner, and a clear window which looks very much like like the back of the battery compartment for a Suunto.
Try removing the cover on the back of the gauge, and see if there's a battery underneath.

That was my first plan of attack. Once removed, the cover at the back exposes a small diaphragm and what appears to be a switch that pressure activates the bottom timer.

I managed to get the face loose enough to peek behind it, and it appears as if the battery is mounted directly onto a circuit board attached to the back of the dial face.. It's just a matter of working out if its possible to get to it without destroying the mechanism or the case.

Yes, I know the bottom timer is essentially pointless when I have a computer on each wrist. And I never look at my SPG because one of those computers has AI.. But still, it's nice to get things working as they were intended...

The face o-ring doesn't look too difficult to install properly again.. It fits nicely into groove for a face seal.

Somewhere along the line - probably due to lockdown induced insanity, I've picked up a new hobby - scouring the market places for regulators in the lead up to the now famed @rsingler regulator course - Europe/Asia-Pac edition in a couple of weeks time. I now have way more regulators than I could ever hope to be able to use, but I still couldn't pass up this for 120 Aussie pesos
Watch out, they breed it is called parthenogenesis
Have one and before you know it there is more and not always the same species.
My Scubapro have a special adaptation in this process, with Aqualung not far behind.
Enjoy.

Watch out, they breed it is called parthenogenesis
Have one and before you know it there is more and not always the same species.

Phew! That's OK then. I thought it was a psychological problem on my behalf. Glad to know it's not.

My two Mk17s seem to have spawned a third, but somewhere along the line a Mk25 appeared as well. I suspected one of the Mk17's and my Mk2 spawned a mutation that manifested itself as a Mk25, then parthenogesis resulted in the second one.

As for second stages, well it looks like there's all sorts of cross breeding going on there!

I just sent a Mk25 S600 to a new home and somehow a Mk21 and G260 turned up [the G260 is schmick] , only have two Mk 2s but the simple buggers breed Mk10 and Mk10+ and cross breed with the Mk25., the Mk5 is too tired and over it and retired, poor old guy.
Not to forget the G250 and S600 problem with a G260 in the mix now [109 ,190 etc etc].
Such fun.
We need counselling.

I just sent a Mk25 S600 to a new home and somehow a Mk21 and G260 turned up

Are you the one who picked that set up off ebay two Fridays ago for an absolute steal? I was going to bid on that but got distracted and got onto it half an hour late

Are you the one who picked that set up off ebay two Fridays ago for an absolute steal? I was going to bid on that but got distracted and got onto it half an hour late
Yes it was me.

PM sent
We are way off topic and will stop now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom