New (old) Louisiana diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xtreme:
Sorry Clay, but I don't believe I know Humberto, however I do Know where the condo's are at the Tchefuncte Harbor. My patrol boat is in a slip in Marina Del Ray. Last week was great for spec fishing in the lake. It slowed down a little on Saturday and the winds and waves were terrible Sunday afternoon making it almost impossible to enjoy yourself while trying to fish. As soon as the lake clears up a little more I'll get with you and maybe we can get together and do a little diving :snorkel: ...

Humberto wrote a book called The Helldiver's Rodeo, which featured rather fanciful stories about a lot of local divers (including me). Funny guy.

louisianadiver:
Humberto wrote a book called The Helldiver's Rodeo, which featured rather fanciful stories about a lot of local divers (including me). Funny guy.

I need to get a copy and read it...

I am going to New Orleans on business at the end of June and am hoping to go diving. I am a brand new diver with only 7 dives all in the Carribean under my belt. The oil rig diving in the Gulf looks great but am I too inexperienced for it? Can anyone recommend a dive shop that takes groups out within a couple hours of New Orleans? Thanks for all your help!

keithbpatterson:
I am going to New Orleans on business at the end of June and am hoping to go diving. I am a brand new diver with only 7 dives all in the Carribean under my belt. The oil rig diving in the Gulf looks great but am I too inexperienced for it? Can anyone recommend a dive shop that takes groups out within a couple hours of New Orleans? Thanks for all your help!

Hi Keith. You could search the 'net for New Orleans area dive shops that offer oil rig trips, but I recommend Harry's Dive Shop in Metairie ( http://www.harrysdiveshop.com/upcoming_trips/rigs_2004.htm ) for diving out of Venice, LA. The drive is about 2 hours from New Orleans, and there are diveable rigs within 10 miles of the mouth of the Mississippi River. You'll need to bring everything, including tanks and weights, which you can rent from Harry's. It's hard to say whether you are experienced enough for oil rig diving, since I don't know how comfortable you are in the water and how well you might deal with unpredictable conditions. It's very possible that a diver with hundreds of Caribbean dives would be totally unprepared for low vis, current, and boarding the boat in heavy seas. On the other hand, rig diving can be very easy at times. It might be a good idea to give Harry's a call and speak candidly with someone there. -Clay

Lake Pontchartrain looks like a big cup of coffee. If the rains and south winds would let up a little we could get back to diving the reef balls, bridge and other structure, until then the vis is really bad...

Just wanted to say Hi. Thibodaux, Louisiana here. Great website, Clay and congrats on the book.

Finnatic:
Just wanted to say Hi. Thibodaux, Louisiana here. Great website, Clay and congrats on the book.

Hey there, Finnatic. I'm glad you enjoyed the web site. I've eaten many hamburger poboys at the Goalpost on my way to the coast from Baton Rouge. -Clay

hi ladiver, i'm a louisiana transplant to hawaii via the navy. i used to dive with a shop on the st. mary's river in georgia that specializes in blackwater searches for megalodon fossils. huge teeth, zero viz, crawling on the muddy bottom but worth it when you pull one up the size of your hand. p.m. me for the shops info and a contact number.

p.s. i read hell diver's rodeo. great book.

Back
Top Bottom