New Member from Louisiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LaDvr11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there guys and gals. Been lurking for a few days other than a little marketplace thread.

Wanted to drop in and officially say hey in this section. I’m 29 years old and most of my diving experience is spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico at the oil rigs; both free and scuba.
I have also done some basic river dives for recovery purposes (max 30ft vis at best 4-5ft at worst 1ft). Mainly for lower units, propellers and watches once or twice.

My most recent travel dives though, have been Cabo San Lucas and La Paz BCS, Mexico; late 2021. I’ll be back in Loreto late February.

Hope to contribute where I can if I can, but looking forwarding to learning and reading more. Have a good evening everyone!

-LD11

Welcome! Where in La? I'm from Lafayette, but living in Md now. Sure miss the food!

Welcome! Where in La? I'm from Lafayette, but living in Md now. Sure miss the food!
I live between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I dive out of Grand Isle 98% of the time, it is where my camp is and the boat is there most of the year.

Nice! I only got to dive the rigs a few times, but I sure enjoyed it!

Nice! I only got to dive the rigs a few times, but I sure enjoyed it!
I thoroughly enjoy every dive out there. The abundance of life and the variety at the oil rigs is so underrated. I also believe that dive experience gained at the rigs is almost irreplaceable.

I grew up in Nola and dove the rigs most of my life. It's amazing what you can see out there. We also used to spearfish lake ponchatrain for sheepshead. There's zero visibility. You take your boat to one of the various cell phone towers or other in-water structures, drop to the bottom and sit with your back against the legs of the structure and have your gun loaded and aimed in front of you. When a fish comes by, pull the trigger and pray.
A great trip would be to go to the Flower Gardens. Usually you have to leave out of Texas

Welcome to the board from a neighbor state of Texas. Like you I lurked for a while and then finally decided to join after a TDY where I was Guam and got a good number of dives In. This seems to be a great place with a wealth of information.

I grew up in Nola and dove the rigs most of my life. It's amazing what you can see out there. We also used to spearfish lake ponchatrain for sheepshead. There's zero visibility. You take your boat to one of the various cell phone towers or other in-water structures, drop to the bottom and sit with your back against the legs of the structure and have your gun loaded and aimed in front of you. When a fish comes by, pull the trigger and pray.
A great trip would be to go to the Flower Gardens. Usually you have to leave out of Texas
definitely awesome out there and underrated.

Haha not many people have done the Lake P sheepshead shooting. It’s a blast to me but I haven’t done it in years. Thanks for the memories popping up. I need to do it again this year now!

Yes! I am planning to dive flower gardens with High Tide out of Texas later this year. I have fished the gardens but never dove them. I can make it there in my boat from Louisiana. It’s usually only a once a year trip though. Typically I’m no further than 100 miles from my home port.

Welcome to the board from a neighbor state of Texas. Like you I lurked for a while and then finally decided to join after a TDY where I was Guam and got a good number of dives In. This seems to be a great place with a wealth of information.

Indeed it does! Hope you enjoy the forum 🤙🏼

Hey, I just joined today, and I'm from Baton Rouge. I just got my open-water certification two weeks ago in Guanaja. I'm definitely going to need to learn more about diving rigs in the Gulf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom