New (old) diver here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTOUPS

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an old commercial diver. Skin diving since a child, NASDS basic and OW '76; Coastal School of Deep Sea Diving , '77; worked in industry 'till a severe (impact/spinal) injury put me on the beach in '88.
Just now trying to get back into light skin diving and scuba as my injuries are a bit better and of course, I miss it.
Am old, crotchety and been around long enough to have seen most of it; young enough to be surprised sometimes and not afraid to admit it!
Hopefully I can pick up a few things on this board and maybe contribute something from time - to - time.

Best regards
Doc

Welcome to the Board and back to diving!

Not many old, crotchety divers left so your knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

Crotchety we got....his name is Iguana Don!

Crotchetyness is a hereditary trait and I got mine from my mother (Dee), so it's not all my fault!

Welcome to the Board and we look forward to your experiences and input.

ID

Welcome. As a commercial diver what kind of depths did you work at?

Originally posted by Jeblis
Welcome. As a commercial diver what kind of depths did you work at?

I was mainly an air diver (i.e. 160' and shallower), and did a little deep gas and tended quite a few sat jobs. For the most part, I worked for small Gulf Coast companies and contracted some small jobs myself on the side.
Many sport divers have little idea of the amount of surface support and safety that goes into commercial work -- and still, commercial divers are killed on a semi-regular basis. Please note that I'm not trying to frighten anyone here, but hope that maybe I can contribute in future by offering some safety perspectives.
Some things I see embraced by the sport diving community, such as wreck and cave diving (penetrations), deep air and gas diving, decompression diving, etc. would never be attempted or permitted in a commercial context without things like deck decompression chambers, unlimited umbilical supplied air (or gas), standby divers, surface communications, etc.
Some of the "macho" extreme diving scenarios I see popularized on some internet sites leave me cold and, to be perfectly candid, strike me as stupid.
Depth and danger are not synonymous with enjoyable diving!

Best regards
Doc

welcome Doc and nice to see you are giving it another go:)

Virginia Beach... sounds like you have alot of good info for all of us to learn from and better our diving skills.

Rich :mean:

Back
Top Bottom