New/Old Bauer Utilus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beeser

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased an old Bauer Utilus compressor that doesn't seem to have ever been used. It looks brand new with the factory oil fill tag still intact, no oil or filter and the motor not wired. Questions ...

Can or should I use the Bauer synthetic oil or are there alternatives?

The pressure setting on the relief valve is 225 bar. I would like pump a little more than 4500 psi. Should I get a new relief valve or can the existing one be reset?

Thanks!

You might want to check the Bauer info plate riveted to your Utilus. I believe you will only be able to get 3300 psi max. Which leaves you at the 225 bar relief, and room to spare.

The compressor is capable of 225 bar or 330 bar depending on the pressure relief valve setting. It's my understanding that the existing valve can be adjusted for the higher pressure. The factory can do it but it's costly. I would like to do it myself if possible.

Did some cross referencing for you, Filter Techs sell an adjustable relief valve for $302.00 their part number is NP2215-0991A replaces the Bauer 59410 valve. I would suggest calling them and go over the details personally I've had good luck with them. Also that is where I get my compressor oil from I stick with the Bauer synthetic

Did some cross referencing for you, Filter Techs sell an adjustable relief valve for $302.00 their part number is NP2215-0991A replaces the Bauer 59410 valve. I would suggest calling them and go over the details personally I've had good luck with them. Also that is where I get my compressor oil from I stick with the Bauer synthetic
Thanks horsediver1! That should do the trick.

If you're getting a new pmv (relief valve) the one from lawrence factor is hard to beat. Its beefy as hell, well built, and easy to adjust.

I understand how to adjust a backpressure (priority) valve but how do you adjust a relief valve? Do you do it the same way but you just have to run the pressures up much higher?

Easiest way attach whip to a tank leaving the tank valve closed. Operate the compressor with the fill whip valve open monitoring the pressure. Adjust until desired psi/bar is reached and not releasing pressure through the relief valve.

I've read the instructions on all my relief valves now and see that it involves the same process as the priority valves. Hearing protection is recommended. Pump to desired pressure, adjust until release and back off slightly from that point.

Relief valves are usually already set to max pressure. It will say right on the purification chamber what it’s max pressure is rated for. Adjusting it is easy depending on what chamber you have. If you’re going past the label that’s on the chamber you’ve basically got a pipe bomb at any given moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom