New Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan let me repeat the question HAS ANYONE USED IT IN AN EMERGENCY? What was the result?
Search Amazon for nautilus marine rescue . A review says a guy used it and wasn’t rescued. If it’s not linked to your data will it work better then the other one? I’m not talking about a plb.

I searched Amazon & all I could find was this: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS Submersible Dive Alert Scuba Nothing about a US Air Force dispatcher leaving voicemail in the guy’s cellular phone in response to the alert.

I found a case about a diver lost at sea in Hawaii with the old Nautilus Lifeline:
Nautilus Lifeline and Diver Lost for 13 Hours in Hawaii
KHNL

May be the guy was using the old Nautilus Lifeline GPS Radio, where you have to get (register) MMSI for the unit.

So I bought a Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS.

I asked myself a question:

If I surfaced from a dive not seeing my dive boat and not a single boat within airhorn/whistling/Marker Buoy distance. Then that’s already a crisis situation. If a boat does not come to me in 30 minutes then it’s a life threatening situation! I would not hesitate pressing the Red Emergency Button. Sure, having a VHF radio is definitely beneficial during the waiting period but fundamentally I should not be relying on having a radio conversation for the boat to be able to pick me up after a recreational dive. If that is the case then I would be carrying my proper radio in a waterproof case such as a YAESU VX-8. The rescue GPS personal beacon is my emergency signaling device rather than a non emergency device.

Now I have some questions... The Nautilus website is not well documented. I do not have access to an AIS system. How can I test and make sure that the device is working? Do I have to configure the rescue GPS to set to the NMSI of the dive boat if equipped? This is where everything gets confusing to me....

More intestingly, this is shown in the latest operation manual. It seems like Nautilus have added a new feature to the Rescue GPS.

I believe it is a non distress type of signaling mode which may proof useful before you decide to press the trigger on the emergency button. Yet, I have no idea how this is going to work...

Attachments

• 5483F5C7-CD88-4AE9-B5C1-EC94FF5847DB.png
    5483F5C7-CD88-4AE9-B5C1-EC94FF5847DB.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 171
More intestingly, this is shown in the latest operation manual. It seems like Nautilus have added a new feature to the Rescue GPS.

I believe it is a non distress type of signaling mode which may proof useful before you decide to press the trigger on the emergency button. Yet, I have no idea how this is going to work...
That's an interesting option! However, it seems like a lot to remember when you're floating around looking for a boat.

The camera case (waterproof down to 40m) works just fine in GBR & Galapagos diving down to 30m so far. I got this old camera case from eBay for $10.

Hi Dan, what kind of case is this? Sony I got, but any other info? I am looking for a cheap case solution to for a PLB.

Is there any difference between the black and orange models other than color?

Are you asking about the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS? If it is, the answer is no. When it first came out 2.5 years ago, it came in black housing. The orange housing is for later model. I bought mine last year and it came with the orange housing. Since batteries are not included, it doesn't matter which one you would get as you would need to get new batteries anyway. It requires 2 CR123 batteries.

If you are asking about the Sony camera case that you replying to my post, it has only a clear color case and that case model is MPK-PHA.

Are you asking about the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS? If it is, the answer is no. When it first came out 2.5 years ago, it came in black housing. The orange housing is for later model. I bought mine last year and it came with the orange housing. Since batteries are not included, it doesn't matter which one you would get as you would need to get new batteries anyway. It requires 2 CR123 batteries.

If you are asking about the Sony camera case that you replying to my post, it has only a clear color case and that case model is MPK-PHA.

Yes I was asking about the gps. I’ve seen different colors being sold by different vendors. So I didn’t know if it’s just color or a difference in version. I.e. the orange has newer tech etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom