New MK10+ seat is loose in the seat retainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Happy Friday folks!

I got an MK10+ service kit with a high pressure seat that seems to be 0.1mm too small in the diameter, as it easily slides in/out of the seat retainer. Should I be concerned? When the reg is put together, all things seem to be tight and working well. But I never saw a set that I could remove by turning the retainer upside down.

Thank you~

I do not like that really. It should be a light press fit with thumb. But, there is a pressure delta there and an O-ring:

I love cutaway drawings or schematics or whatever they are

Hey I win it's midday Saturday here.

I've had some easily inserted aftermarket I think ebay ones, red, that if wobbled or concerned me I would boil it

I am off my game lately. No excuse, here is the Mark 10 instead of a Mark V. :wink:

@Nemrod - thank you for confirming. I had the same hypothesis, as the o-ring should hold the seat in place plus there is pressure. I'll bench test the living crap out of this reg and will keep you posted.

Those diagrams don’t apply to the MK10+, as the seat retainer is more similar to the MK25, with the o-ring fitting in a groove around the side of the seat. It does not seal like the MK5 or MK10 with either an o-ring or a bushing inserted into the regular body.

I would count your blessings if the MK10+ seat is not too tight in the retainer. I haven’t worked on many, but I did recently put one together where it was a huge pain to remove the old seat, in fact I ended up drilling it out and destroying the old seat in the process. Never had that problem with my MK25s, they come out easily.

Those diagrams don’t apply to the MK10+, as the seat retainer is more similar to the MK25, with the o-ring fitting in a groove around the side of the seat. It does not seal like the MK5 or MK10 with either an o-ring or a bushing inserted into the regular body.

I would count your blessings if the MK10+ seat is not too tight in the retainer. I haven’t worked on many, but I did recently put one together where it was a huge pain to remove the old seat, in fact I ended up drilling it out and destroying the old seat in the process. Never had that problem with my MK25s, they come out easily.
Do you have a cutaway? I lost my folder with MK10+ stuff and have only MK10.

I've rebuilt several MK10+ and prefer due to the lack of the sharp piston edge. They seem to work fine in my fleet. However, never have I ever seen a seat fallout. Are you absolutely sure that the o-ring does not against the HP seat? I am not trying to be a pain but want to prevent an unforgettable emotional event.

If you’ve rebuilt several MK10+ 1st stages, then you must know that the seat is the same as the MK25 seat, with the same o-ring configuration. It’s completely different from the MK10. I don’t have a cutaway drawing, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I’m sure you can find a schematic, if not for the MK10+, then for the MK20-25 and that’s the same arrangement.

Ok, so mea culpa.

I was drinking beer while rebuilding the last reg and did not put the o-ring in the right place. Wow.

Btw, this is what you get for thinking "I remember how to rebuild these."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom