Converting MK10+ to MK10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy folks,

So, my "mint" MK10 eBay purchase turned out to be MK10+. No IP creep and holds a good 130PSI IP with one shim. Looking at the reg - it was used lightly but never really serviced. Will need O2 cleaning and a rebuilt, as I am planning to use it on my bailout paired with a 250.

Given some HP seat issues on earlier MK10+ models, I am wondering if it makes sense to rebuild it as MK10. Based on what I gathered, I'll need MK10 HP cap, seat + a new piston. Anything else?

Thank you

It will be hard to find a NOS piston for the MK10.
I would keep it as MK10+.
The initial issue with seats was later solved, recent seats just work well.
As you have a stable IP, what's the problem?

Howdy folks,

So, my "mint" MK10 eBay purchase turned out to be MK10+. No IP creep and holds a good 130PSI IP with one shim. Looking at the reg - it was used lightly but never really serviced. Will need O2 cleaning and a rebuilt, as I am planning to use it on my bailout paired with a 250.

Given some HP seat issues on earlier MK10+ models, I am wondering if it makes sense to rebuild it as MK10. Based on what I gathered, I'll need MK10 HP cap, seat + a new piston. Anything else?

Thank you
SP doesn't sell the MK10 piston anymore, so as Angelo mentioned, it will not be easy to find a new one.
But for sure you find an old MK10 for a decent price ( less than the price for a new MK10+ piston), and should there be a problem with the piston edge, usually it is not too difficult to repair it.
But right, what for? The HP seat lasts way longer and was never the problem ( the piston edge was if at all) and a little creep is no issue as long the IP is stable.
I like the MK10 pistons for their crisp IP lockup, but technically I don't see the real benefit of a one to three seconds faster lockup as long the lockup is stable at the same IP.
Less delicate piston edges have also their benefits......

Hello, I have had one for quite some time and it has never given me an IP drag problem, the first ones gave it a bad reputation as creeping, but with the new seat no problem, it is the same one that the Mk25 uses and it is quite durable, in addition to fit it with a washer for I.P you only have to disassemble the seat holder and place it in its place, and that's it you don't have to disassemble the entire body. Of all the ones I have, it is my favorite. Greetings

Here is the exploded view, if you need the maintenance manual, send me your e-mail and I'll send it to you, I've tried to upload it here and it tells me it's too big

Attachments

• Mk10-Mk10+ ANOTADO.pdf
    148.1 KB · Views: 119
borrado

Thank you folks, will keep it as MK10+. A new kit is on the way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom