MK10 or MK10+ HP seats for high FO2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy folks,

Does anyone know part #s for HP seats suitable for high FO2? I know there are EAN conversion kits out there, but all I need is a HP seat for either of the regs.

Thank you and happy New Year!

The original MK10 seat is the 10.101.151.

The MK10+ seat is the 10.101.161 which is also used in the MK21, MK25 and MK25 EVO. The EAN version of this seat is the 10.101.171, which would fit your MK10+.

I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding just the seat, unless a dealer is willing to order it for you, which is possible.

A full kit 10.712.031 (MK25/EVO EAN) kit is surely easier to source, although I understand you just need the seat.

This is timely for me, because I’m putting together an O2 reg and my choices are MK10 and MK2, and I have a MK10+ conversion kit. SP does sell a MK25 ‘nitrox’ rebuild kit with a bright green seat, that would also fit the MK10+ as mentioned. That kit is like $100. I’m way too cheap for that, lol.

Then there’s the discussion about the O2 compatibility of the MK10 vs the MK10+, assuming both are using the standard seat. I’d be interested in knowing the actual material that these seats are made of and thus the ignition temp. I could take a wild guess that they’re roughly the same risk of igniting.

A dive shop owner recently told me that he had heard that the sharp knife edge piston regs are not considered as O2 safe because the thin edge gets hotter as air flows around it. I’m thinking that is absolute B.S. Gas isn’t forced around the piston edge, it expands around the piston edge. In fact, that is the exact site of adiabatic cooling, the coldest spot in the regulator.

So I can’t think of any advantage to using a MK10+ over a standard MK10 other than the availability of the green seat. And…I don’t know what the real, not claimed, advantage to the green seat is. What is it made of, how much more ignition-resistant is it, etc. If it’s simply a matter of the seat holding up to O2 exposure, to me that is no reason to spend $100. I could change the seat out after every single O2 dive for a couple of years and still be ahead money-wise, given how infrequently I’ll use it.

Even though I’m starting to ramble (sorry about that), I wanted to add that I’ve ended up deciding to go with a MK2 for my O2 reg. It has much less combustible material in the HP section, no dynamic o-rings exposed to HP, in fact the only o-rings that see HP in the regulator are the two on the DIN retainer and the single HP port. That’s outstanding. The seat is tiny, and SP does make an O2 compatible seat which is not nearly as expensive as the MK25. The only drawback for my use is that there’s no turret, which means the hose routing is a little less streamlined, but I’ll gladly live with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom