Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screenshot_20210409_151017_com.android.chrome.jpg Washington Screenshot_20210409_150534_com.android.chrome.jpg Florida
This website does the whole world (with a few minor gaps. I'm not sure why you can't access it. Have you tried this link?
CawthronEye: Satellite Monitoring - Cawthron Institute

Reactions: OTF
Yup that's what I'm getting too

Has anyone tried a VPN? I'll contact them and see why you can't view the page. It's after business hours here now but should hopefully have a reply tomorrow.

I gave up on the survey.

You also need to turn many of those questions from single select to multi-select. More importantly, the choices you have suggest that you need to do further research on how people in different areas dive and how people plan their dives before embarking on this project.
Thanks for the feedback :)

I use windy for water temperature, wind, waves and swell. I then use cawthron eye (or whatever real time satellite you have in your area) to check the visibility. I check althese usually a couple days before a dive, the day before and on the day. I use Google to research history on specific wrecks and use other people's experience to get an idea on bottom conditions depth and possible currents/tides. After all that I plan the dive as half out half back + 70bar reserve(usually if it's a wreck it'll be different and usually plan to stay within ndl) . Although I usually come back shallower to extend dive time. Dive shops are also very useful for finding good sites and figuring out which new ones can be worthwhile.
Thanks so much for this feedback! Its so helpful for me to know which apps divers are using and I appreciate you taking the time to write such detailed feedback. Ill be investigating all the apps you have mentioned! :)

Hi,
Welcome, our last trip was to Berlin for Christmas 2019. Magical! No diving, though.

This board is very permissive, as far as I know commercial posts are permitted without prior approval.

If you manage to put together a portal for dive site information, I think that would be great. There's a lot of information that I would like to have!

Long term info:
Depth
Seasonal water temperatures
Seasonal weather
Access (transport, parking, entry)
Local risks: current, animal, boat traffic
Location of closest chamber

Short term info:
Wave height - Locally I use this: Monterey Bay Swell Forecasts The ones with broad national or international coverage seem oriented toward surfers
Visibility - often found on forums such as this one. Very hard to find unless you call a shop or know someone. A "viz forecast" would be huge!
Local surface weather forecast - In the U.S. I use weather.gov but elsewhere Intellicast
Tide forecast

Good luck with your research. That's not my area but I do enjoy noodling in UX.
Hey There,

Did you make it to the Christmas markets? Berlins a lovely city but yes, very little diving!

Thank you for writing back to me, This is all golden info and will really help the project develop. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such detailed feedback and I will investigate the forecast checkers you use!

Thanks again and all the best!

First of all, I agree with Searcaigh.

Your response choices indicate that you are most interested in divers who are fairly inexperienced and usually in need of having someone do their planning for them. Because of that I, and I assume almost all fairly experienced divers answering your survey, was unable to find my answer in your choices.

Effective dive planning is, in my view, a bit more complicated than you appear to be envisioning it. I would have included a number of issues that you did not mention. I wrote a PADI-approved distinctive specialty class in dive planning, and in support of it I wrote what amounts to a short book on the topic.

Hello, thanks for replying to the thread :)

I again appreciate all feedback, Although I love diving, I would consider myself as a rather inexperienced diver and I think that comes across in the surveys limited responses. I agree they are quite limited, when I plan dives for myself I usually firstly research an area, seasonal conditions monthly/YoY, and weather and wave forecasts for when I plan to visit. I would then contact dive shops and thats probably then end of my planning endeavour!

I thinks its important to get opinions from divers of all levels and all of the feedback is very valuable, but I have a strong focus on Weather/ Water pre dive checks and imagining what the would be best for divers. I think the big weather apps are created with surfers/ windsurfers in mind. I would love to know some of the issues that I might have missed and I would be very interested in reading the short book you wrote if you could point me towards it please? :)

Thanks and all the best!

Back
Top Bottom