New member from SoCal looking for Honeymoon Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I got married in Negril, Jamaica. The diving there is above average, but what also attracted us were the on-island excursions. Realizing that others have responded in great detail, if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me (although, be forewarned, this Friday we leave for Jamaica for our fourth trip since 2003, which may be an endorsement in itself).

Wow! Thank you everyone. I did not expect such a quick and overwhelmingly helpful response. I'm going to start putting together a weighted spreadsheet to evaluate our options, but off the cuff I think we are leaning towards Cozumel. She is excited to see the Tulum ruins and it just makes the most sense.

Typically high season in the Caribbean starts around mid-Sept thru mid-April/May 1st. There are obviously exceptions. Sometimes it's a big increase other times just a few $/day since they seem to just be taking advantage of the trend. Look at any dive resort website - most list high/low season rates/dates.

One question remains, when is the best time to book? Am I behind schedule/need to stay up late researching or can I take my time and book early January for a trip next October/November-ish?

Thanks!

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'd like to pretend we are travelling on a college budget - we are currently pinching pennies to pay down student loans and we can forgo the luxury.

It can be kind of hard to envision what's right for you, since 'honeymoon' and 'hostel' usually don't go together.

Just curious how would you rank these destinations in terms of overall cost for a week long trip? Cozumel, Costa Rica, Belize, Bonaire, Utila, Roatan

The tyranny of choice can drive you mad. Here's what I do to compare. Make a section for each destination. For each, so a little web surfing & pick on resort & dive op. at each. Get a stay & dive package price (with rental truck for Bonaire), & get your airfare off Orbitz or similar.

For Cozumel, maybe Hotel Cozumel to stay. Dive With Martin is often well-spoken of for budget diving; I haven't used them but check them out. Plan to eat out some for supper; you can read about Hotel Cozumel's food in other threads.

For Belize, I dunno...maybe Ambergris Caye? That seems to be 'diving plus some other stuff.' At least to get a package price & airfare.

Bonaire? Look at Buddy Dive Resort for a package deal. I'm not saying that'll be the best, but it ought to be ballpark & gives you a sense of what you get for x amount of money.

Roatan? See about the Anthony's Key BOGO thing.

Some threads that might help you get a sense of what costs what:

1.) Total Cost Mid-range Budget Florida & Caribbean Trips.

2.) Least expensive warm water diving for a few weeks.

How long can you commit to this trip? Airfare is a fixed cost, whether you stay one week or two. Something like diving in one part of Belize & land-touring another part is more practical if you spend longer than a week.

Richard.

Tulum is picturesque but Coba and Chitzen are amazing..you can easily see Tulum and Coba in 1 day. Cenotes nearby are great too.

Last edited:
How long can you commit to this trip? Airfare is a fixed cost, whether you stay one week or two. Something like diving in one part of Belize & land-touring another part is more practical if you spend longer than a week.

We're looking at somewhere between 10 days and two weeks, including flexibility to fly in/on on weekdays if they are cheaper.

Tulum is picturesque but Coba and Chitzen are amazing..you can easily see Tulum and Coba in 1 day. Cenotes nearby are great too.

Yes, I would love to see Chichen Itza and do some guided cenote diving.

We're looking at somewhere between 10 days and two weeks, including flexibility to fly in/on on weekdays if they are cheaper.

Yes, I would love to see Chichen Itza and do some guided cenote diving.

Staying on Cozumel and seeing sights on the mainland (especially if you plan to dive any cenotes) can be inconvenient (I am being careful to choose my word), but not impossible.

No question, Cozumel offers extraordinary diving, and if you choose to stay on the island, I would highly recommend the Mayan site, San Gervasio (about mid way on the cross-island road - you can get cabs to take you there and I recommend a guide). While San Gervasio is not as spectacular as Chichen or Coba, it is quite educational with several well-restored buildings.

If you want to expand your horizons, you might consider splitting your trip, staying a period of time on the island, and then transferring to the mainland for the balance. We prefer Puerto Aventuras when we stay on the mainland. There are a couple of all-inclusive hotels (including a Hard Rock), a great dive op (Dive Aventuras) who can give you access to both ocean and cenote diving, and access to such attractions as Xcaret, and close proximity to Tulum, and the back way to Coba, on your way to Chichen Itza. If you do this trip, let me suggest that you make it an overnight in Chichen, in order to experience the light show. There are a couple of good places to stay, we prefer the Archeological Villas.

Lots of options, and again, if I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me.

Just want to mention that I have visited Mayan ruins in Talum and in Belize and I got eaten alive by mosquitos during the excursions! Those Mayans could pick beautiful spots but the mosquitoes are ferocious out there on the edge of the jungle! I won't be visiting any more Mayan ruins.

My favorite destination is the Caymans but you are looking for an economy destination and that is hard to find in the Caymans.

When people say that there is not much to do on Bonaire it always surprises me. There's not a lot of night life or attractions but it is such an unusual environment to visit IMO. There are mangrove swamps, a jungle park, salt flats, a flamingo preserve, stretches of desert and cactus, slave huts that are still standing, a pink sand beach, a donkey preserve, a windmill farm, and big hills made out of white salt. Not to mention a beautiful warm ocean and healthy reefs with lots of sea life. I think it is a great place to visit.

Plus Bonaire is below the hurricane belt and that makes it a "safer" destination during the fall.

Since you are planning to stay for 10 days or 2 weeks, wherever you go you should look for an apartment or condo where you can cook some simple meals and go out for dinner. Or you should look for an all-inclusive that includes the meals. Eating out 3 times a day can get very expensive.

I love Cozumel, and it's easy to do on a budget if you don't need a lot of luxury. And I would NOT do AI on Cozumel, especially at Hotel Cozumel. I like Hotel Cozumel, nice big hotel, well maintained, big comfortable rooms, great pool area, good location - about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown, and close to the Chedraui, a big superstore where you can pick up beer, tequila, mixers, or snacks for your room. But, IMO, the food is terrible. Unless you are going to drink enough to make the AI supplement worthwhile (I don't drink much at all), I just wouldn't do it. But there are perfectly acceptable hotels on Cozumel that are cheaper. There are trade-offs involved. If you want to stay in the downtown area, check out Casa Mexicana - very nice place with a breakfast buffet included, right downtown, but no big pool, just a small wading-type pool in the lobby area. Probably less than Hotel Cozumel, you can find deals for about $65 a night. Or Suites Bahia, older, less luxurious than Casa Mexicana, but the breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana is also included, and even cheaper, you can find deals on Orbitz or Hotels.com for about $44.00 a night. Being downtown means that you are walking distance to a lot of great restaurants, many very reasonably priced. BUT it will cut down on your choices of Dive Ops, or require taxi rides both ways. While Dive with Martin is a very good affordable dive opp (and I've been diving with them several times - I really like one of the DMs, Miguel Estrella), it leaves from the International Pier, about 2 miles south of town. Very convenient if you stay at Casa Del Mar (Superor rooms at about $80 a night, includes breakfast; standard rooms cheaper, but smaller, in the back, and a bit dingy, IMO) or El Cid, but an 80 Peso (about $5.00, at current exchange rates) taxi ride each way if you stay downtown. There are, however, a number of very good dive ops that will pick you up at a downtown pier, like Aldora (my very favorite Dive Op, for its HP Steel 120 tanks, very long bottom times, long SI at a beach club, and great DMs and service, but definitely high-end - among the more expensive Dive Ops), or provide transportation to the Caleta where the dive boats leave from, like Tres Pelicanos (I've never used them, but they have a very good reputation among the lower cost dive ops), Blue XTSea, or others. As to dining in Cozumel on a budget, there are a ton of very good options. Several "loncherias" that will serve you a lunch that includes chips and salsa, soup, an entree with rice and beans, and agua fresca (usually Jamaica, a sweetened tea made with red hibiscus flowers - looks like rec Koolade, but with a unique flavor), all for 75-80 Pesos. And the little locally-owned gems, like Pescaderia San Carlos, where you can eat with the locals and get great fresh seafood for lunch (I think it closes about 3:00 P.M. - it doesn't serve dinner), or El Moro, a must see place way back in town, which has a huge menu, all of it excellent, and all very reasonably priced. And if you are on your honeymoon, you should splurge at least once and eat at Kinta or Kondesa, and get a wonderful meal for less than $35-40 per person. I could go on and on with my own list of favorite Cozumel restaurants, but you can find lots of recommendations on these boards at the Cozumel forum, or at CozumelmyCozumel.com, a very good source of info on all things Cozumel.

Regarding when should you book, you have got lots of time especially since your dates are flexible. Fall is the low season and sometimes you can get some great last minute deals - but if you leave it too long you may have trouble finding flights.

But if you change your mind and decide to travel during the peak season to the Caribbean (mid-December to mid-April) then you should book sooner rather than later because places fill up fast.

Are you near Long Beach, CA? There will be a big scuba show there during June and you can visit the exhibits and talk to a lot of the dive travel vendors. They often offer "show specials" too. See the link below: Home - Scuba ShowScuba Show

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom