New Mares Power Plana for snorkeling ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jolofree

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would the new Mares Power Planas be suitable for snorkeling and then if I get a chance for recreational diving?
I had a set of Mares Volos and they felt very soft and flexible for me, I could not seem to get any good thrust,
so I'm looking for a stiffer fin but these may be a bit much. I've looked at the Quattros but they seem long & floppy.
I swim 3-4 miles per week in a pool for conditioning.
Thanks, j

Get a pair of long freediving fins.. They work great for snorkeling and just as well for most scuba uses too.

Power Planas are a heavy fin, not the best for snorkeling I'd think. I use them drysuit diving.

I just picked up a pair to sink my floaty feet - very happy with them but i would use my x-streams for snorkelling super light so great for travel

Quattros are longer than the Power Planas, but they are only floppy in comparison with fins like the Power Plana. They are a pretty stiff fin in comparison to the rest of the world's fins. They are MUCH stiffer than Volos.

I use Hollis F1s for dry suit diving, but I would happily use the Power Planas instead. When I am wet suit diving or traveling, I use the Quattro +.

If you travel: accels are pretty stiff and luggage-friendly. I doubt there's any $50 closeout ones left anywhere though. :(

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to demo a few of the top recommended ones Tuesday.
I love the xtremes for snorkel or diving... and having the half-foot of the xtreme means I have booties to walk on sharp rocks/hot beach sand when snorkeling from the beach.

I love the xtremes for snorkel or diving... and having the half-foot of the xtreme means I have booties to walk on sharp rocks/hot beach sand when snorkeling from the beach.

By "half foot" do you mean open heel as opposed to full foot? I'm guessing so, just want to be sure. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom