New Mac OS X Dive App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just got my oc1 today, ill have about 40 dives by next week so you can get more data, im a dive instructor interested in helping out

I've finally done it! I now have a full log of my entire 30 year diving history on my Mac.

After patiently and impatiently waiting for many years for Uwatec to get their act together, I've taken 3 major steps to move my dive log firmly and permanently to the Mac.

1. Bought Mac-Dive (macdive - home)
2. Bought a Suunto D9 (thank you, Santa)
3. Exported and migrated my entire SmartTrak database into Mac-Dive (thank you, Nick)

The 3rd step was quite a challenge. Uwatec have made it very difficult to migrate off their platform. But, in a convoluted journey via Access, Excel and SQL, we finally got it done and tested. All the relevant data is now in Mac-Dive, included the dive profile for all the dives since I have been uploaded them from a Uwatec dive computer.

Nick, the developer of Mac-Dive, worked hard on this exercise. I done some of the work (database unlock, initial extract, some data format changes, testing of the finished solution. I can't speak on his behalf, but I hope, for the sake of many other people in a similar situation, Nick plans to industrialise the process so he can help many others make the same migration.

What are the benefits:

1. I can delete Windoze from my Mac, freeing up 10 Gb of disk
2. I no longer have to struggle with that awful SmartTrak application to update dive data
3. Mac-Dive is a great app, with a really intuitive Mac interface - very easy to update and maintain dive data. (check out the "map" feature - its awesome)
4. I can go back through my paper dive log and add some of the extra data (e.g. dive notes) to round out the database (too difficult to do in SmartTrak, easy in MacDive)
5. Link some of my underwater photos to the dive log.
6. Stop hand-writing a dive log book and just keep it all on my computer.

I am going to miss the Uwatec dive computer underwater because I did like it's easy to read style. But, Uwatec, despite many promises, never got their act together on the whole dive-log issue. SmartTrak is not a great app, JTrak is a joke, the proprietary locked database is unfriendly and the lack of decent export tools is bordering on anti-competitive. I look back through my emails over the last 4 years and I have several from senior Uwatec management, including the previous CEO, promising to rectify all these issues, but nothing happened. It is a sense of relief that all that is behind me now.

So, a big thanks to Nick, and a wish that many others will follow this trail that we've blazed.

Regards
Peter

Could you please remove the timezone support from the app.

I live in GMT+1, my Vyper is in GMT+1.

So I went on vacation to malaysia, so I set my Vyper to the local time, my macbook adjusted to local time as well. I synced and everything was quite well.

When I got back home, the timezone on my MB changed to GMT+1 and all the times in MacDive got changed and had to be manually adjusted... Can you make it so that 8am remains 8am. In a log timezones are just not needed.

Yours,
Rob

Hi Nick/t0w,

so I finally got around to buying a licence and migrating to MacDive 2, (currently on version 2.0.4). Firstly I would like to say what a great leap forward to new software is. I have used MacDive since the beginning and it keeps getting better and better. Hopefully with time it can just keep improving as users suggest more and more features and you keep adding to it.

I especially love the new google maps feature allowing one to track exactly where your dive were. It is very similar to the 'places' view in iPhoto.

I have some suggestions/feedback for further improvements:

- I have a problem with some of my dive location flags. All the dives that I did in one area in Sulawesi wont allow me to change the flag location. I go to the info panel for each of those dives, click on the 'Map' button and drag the flag to the correct location. However it doesn't seem to be saved and when I come back to that dive again the flag has reverted back to its original location. No matter how many times I have tried this, it wont let me save the location. This is strange because this is only happening for around 20 dives, all my other dives work just fine. Is this a known issue?

- When on the Sites Map view, one can click on a dive flag and bring up a speech bubble showing the dive name, rating, location etc. It would be great to be able to then click on a link/double click and have this take you directly to that dive information in the 'all dives' section. Currently doing this requires manually navigation to the dive.

- Average Dive Depths - Because about 70 of my dives were done before I had a computer, their average dive depth is registered as 0. This data is then included to calculate my overall average dive depth for all my dives. Obviously this brings the average way down and is incorrect. Is there any way to enter a null field instead of a 0 for these dives so there are not including in the stats calculations?

- Photo Slideshow for all dives? Currently clicking on a dive in the all dives inspector and then navigating to photos allows one to start a slideshow. Is there anyway to view a slideshow of all photos for a particular range of dives?

Thanks again for writing the software. It is great to have such good native mac dive software. MacDive could sell very well as the best diving software available or Mac. Here's to future improvements! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::cool2:

Apologies for the huge delay - things have been hectic. Finally getting some time to work on some exciting new features, and hoping to have a new patch out relatively soon.

Hi Nick/t0w,
- I have a problem with some of my dive location flags. All the dives that I did in one area in Sulawesi wont allow me to change the flag location. I go to the info panel for each of those dives, click on the 'Map' button and drag the flag to the correct location. However it doesn't seem to be saved and when I come back to that dive again the flag has reverted back to its original location. No matter how many times I have tried this, it wont let me save the location. This is strange because this is only happening for around 20 dives, all my other dives work just fine. Is this a known issue?

Can you send me your MacDive.sqlite file and let me know which ones exhibit this behaviour?

- When on the Sites Map view, one can click on a dive flag and bring up a speech bubble showing the dive name, rating, location etc. It would be great to be able to then click on a link/double click and have this take you directly to that dive information in the 'all dives' section. Currently doing this requires manually navigation to the dive.

Nice idea, I can definitely add that.

- Average Dive Depths - Because about 70 of my dives were done before I had a computer, their average dive depth is registered as 0. This data is then included to calculate my overall average dive depth for all my dives. Obviously this brings the average way down and is incorrect. Is there any way to enter a null field instead of a 0 for these dives so there are not including in the stats calculations?

I can fix that up.

- Photo Slideshow for all dives? Currently clicking on a dive in the all dives inspector and then navigating to photos allows one to start a slideshow. Is there anyway to view a slideshow of all photos for a particular range of dives?

Yeah I was thinking of perhaps having a photos mode that could do this - it's somewhere on the to-do list.

just got my oc1 today, ill have about 40 dives by next week so you can get more data, im a dive instructor interested in helping out

OC1 support should be in the next patch. I'm waiting for my container to clear customs, as my laptop that has a windows partition is in it. Need to sort out a few minor data issues before it's complete.

New patch out, 2.0.5:

New Features:
Added iOS sync with DiveLog by MoreMobileSoftware.
Added support for the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt.
Added support for the HeinrichsWeikamp OSTC mkI and mkII.
Added support for the Oceanic OC1.
Added support for the Sherwood Insight.
Added support for the Tusa IQ750.
Added a NDT graph (currently only supported with the Cobalt).
Dive Type is now a token field allowing multiple values.
Added new flags (Curaçao, England, Bonaire, Chuuk, Yap).
Added ability to graph dives relative to a maximum depth (View -> Normalise Profile Depths).
Added O2% as an option when creating smart divelogs.
Importing from SDM files now creates tanks.

Bug Fixes:
DiveLog importer now imports metric files correctly.
Fixed some minor display/resizing issues.
Fixed issue where buddies would only autocomplete from addressbook.
Fixed gear purchase price not accepting decimal values.
Fixed air temperature/average depth not accepting decimals in dive inspector.
Fixed issue with merging multiple dives.
Fixed bug where adding images to sites/gear/certs could fail silently in certain cases.
Fixed launch issues on Leopard.
Fixed import issues for various devices.

A big thank you to Atomic Aquatics for being a pleasure to deal with, and also for sending me a demo unit to help get things set up. Which, by the way, is a very cool dive computer. It's just a little big for my wrist :wink:

And also a big thanks to Greg of More Mobile Software for his help getting syncing working.

As usual, let me know if you have any problems!

New patch out, 2.0.5:

Dive Type is now a token field allowing multiple values.

As usual, let me know if you have any problems!

2.0.5 generally working OK. Imported 7 new dives from D9. But found 2 little bugs.

1. Dive Type wont let me type into the field in the info box - but can paste into it.

2. Diver Name for importing dives used to be "Peter Walker" but is now "Peter Walker 65902799 SIN" (part of my phone number and country - not sure where it picked up this extra from?) Had to manually delete the extra stuff. Was OK in 2.0.4.

Regards
Peter

That's great news on the Atomic Cobalt.

I'll plug it in tonight when I get home and see what happens!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom