New Mac OS X Dive App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm on Leopard (10.5.2) using a blackbook. Any possibility of support for the Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G -- with the "Smart" IrDA or one of the cheap knockoffs?

Yes I installed the FTDI serial usb driver version 2.2.9 that is linked on the MacDive homepage. I am not sure what I am supposed to see in System Profiler in order to check whether it is working correctly, but I do see the Suunto Sports Instrument which I copied in my first post.
BTW I am running OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook

Hey this is awesome. I think I am going to have to buy a cable for my Gekko now so that I can use this. :) It would be nice to finally download all my dives. I think I have near 300 on this Gekko.

Hey this is awesome. I think I am going to have to buy a cable for my Gekko now so that I can use this. :) It would be nice to finally download all my dives. I think I have near 300 on this Gekko.
I don't know how many dive hours the Gekko holds but I used to have a Vytec and once the dive logger memory fills up it wraps around and begins to overwrite the oldest dive with the new one. You may or may not get all 300 dives downloaded, depending on how often (frequently) the dive points were being recorded.

I don't know how many dive hours the Gekko holds but I used to have a Vytec and once the dive logger memory fills up it wraps around and begins to overwrite the oldest dive with the new one. You may or may not get all 300 dives downloaded, depending on how often (frequently) the dive points were being recorded.

Actually I have been wondering/worried about that. I've never downloaded a thing from that computer. I know, I've been told that if I get the right cable that, though you are not supposed to, you can download your dive info from the Gekko. Now I have to go about finding this cable. :11doh: I don't think I care about getting every dive downloaded but some would be nice :D

Actually I have been wondering/worried about that. I've never downloaded a thing from that computer. I know, I've been told that if I get the right cable that, though you are not supposed to, you can download your dive info from the Gekko. Now I have to go about finding this cable. :11doh: I don't think I care about getting every dive downloaded but some would be nice :D

In general, whatever you can still see in the Logbook on your computer - that's what'll be downloaded. Unfortunately, however, I don't think the Gekko supports PC downloads (the manual indicates that the PC cable is for use by dive shops to reset tissue sats on rental gear). <edited to add - rereading your post, it sounds like you already know this, though.>

I know, I've been told that if I get the right cable that, though you are not supposed to, you can download your dive info from the Gekko. Now I have to go about finding this cable. :11doh: I don't think I care about getting every dive downloaded but some would be nice :D

The cable is available on EBay for about $45. Any cable that will work with a Vyper works with the Gekko. Get the USB cable, don't get the RS232 cable unless you have a serial port available, It isn't worth the "savings" - the USB to Serial adapters don't work that well and add cost. I'm pretty sure that Mac drivers are available for the third party USB cable - I'm not sure the Suunto cable has a Mac compatable driver.

Your gekko has been recording dives at a sample rate of 30 sec / sample.
It will hold ~ 15 dives.

Yes I installed the FTDI serial usb driver version 2.2.9 that is linked on the MacDive homepage. I am not sure what I am supposed to see in System Profiler in order to check whether it is working correctly, but I do see the Suunto Sports Instrument which I copied in my first post.
BTW I am running OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook

Apologies for my lack of response - been away for a few days.

Did you get your problem sorted ? If not, send me a mail to macdive@thedoorisajar.org and I'll help you out.

The Gekko will indeed only store a few dives, depending on sample rate/how long they are etc.

hdugan - the suunto cable uses the FTDI driver linked from my website absolutely fine. I use one with my D9.

New version up (1.3.4).

Please update, as this fixes a big problem with the data transfer between certain models (gekko, mosquito, vyper etc). There are minor other updates - the side panel now remembers whether it was open or closed, some bug fixes, and gear is added to all selected dives not just the first.

Hi,

I have the same problem lumijarvi has, I can see the device in the system profiler:
USB <-> Serial Cable:

Version: 6.00
Bus-Strom (mA): 500
Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 12 MBit/s
Hersteller: Smartinterface
Produkt-ID: 0x6001
Hersteller-ID: 0x0403

As soon as i try to download from my D6, I get the message "Error contacting dive computer". Its a smartinterface cable with the FTDI driver installed (which is listed on the download site of the cable vendor as the driver to use).

I run Leopard 10.5.2 on a mini

Any hints would be highly appreciated.
Regards from Germany,
Rainer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom