New Mac OS X Dive App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already tried installing OSX to compile the sample applications. But I didn't got very far. I have to admit that I only tried installing inside a virtual machine. Maybe it works better with a native installation (dual boot), but then I have to reboot often.

It's might be possible to get things working without needing the uwatec hardware, because the problematic part is the communication with the IR hardware itself (e.g. the SigmaTel chip). Once we can get this low-level stuff working, we can probably plug it into our existing code. Unfortunately I can't find any useful documentation on that chip (www.sigmatel.com is down). In JTrak, this low-level stuff seems to be implemented in native code, not java. If someone can give me some more information on how this applications does the communication, that could maybe give me an clue in what direction to look. How does OSX recognize this hardware. Which device nodes show up for instance? You could try to run it under strace (or its OSX equivalent), or with a debugger to see which system calls are made.

Wish I could help, but that's a bit lower level than I know how to handle.

I could plug a random IR dongle and see what pops in the system config app, but debuggers and strace are outside my area of expertise.

Well, Mac OS X is outside my area of expertise, but not so long ago I didn't know anything about dive computer protocols either :)

If you can provide some basic info that might help already. How does an IR device shows up (the mac equivalent of dmesg, lsusb, etc output)? Does a device node shows up in /dev or not? I have found that IrCOMM should be supported, so I assume a new device node for a serial port should appear.

Well, Mac OS X is outside my area of expertise, but not so long ago I didn't know anything about dive computer protocols either :)

If you can provide some basic info that might help already. How does an IR device shows up (the mac equivalent of dmesg, lsusb, etc output)? Does a device node shows up in /dev or not? I have found that IrCOMM should be supported, so I assume a new device node for a serial port should appear.

If I remember, and have time to surf tonight, I'll see if I can plug my IR adapter in and see what happens.

For the record, though, I lost the IR adapter I used to use with my Mac, and the new ones I have doesn't work with Jtrak. Not an issue for me, since I use SmartTrak on Windows, which has no problem with the IR adapter, but I'm just saying in case you're wanting to use the Jtrak IR stack (although I don't know why anyone would want to reuse something that was so limited to begin with).

MacDive is by far the best free dive software that I have come across for the Mac platform. Now I have entered all my dives into it is really useful. Especially the 'export as PDF' function.

May I make a suggestion for a possible future update? It would be very nice to have an option for 24 hour time, (so called military time), in addition to the current AM/PM setup. I don't know how easy/difficult this would be to implement but would be great if you would consider it as a future possibility. I use nothing but the 24 hour clock and it is much better imo. :wink:

Oh and I should say that t0w has written this software totally for free and made it available to all of us, and actively worked with everyone to improve it. Don't forget you can donate to him if you like the software.

MacDive is by far the best free dive software that I have come across for the Mac platform. Now I have entered all my dives into it is really useful. Especially the 'export as PDF' function.

May I make a suggestion for a possible future update? It would be very nice to have an option for 24 hour time, (so called military time), in addition to the current AM/PM setup. I don't know how easy/difficult this would be to implement but would be great if you would consider it as a future possibility. I use nothing but the 24 hour clock and it is much better imo. :wink:

Oh and I should say that t0w has written this software totally for free and made it available to all of us, and actively worked with everyone to improve it. Don't forget you can donate to him if you like the software.

Thanks for the kind words - for your suggestion, this is controlled by your format preferences in System Preferences -> International -> Formats, you can view your time settings there and change them to 24 hour if you like.

What would be the best way to get the Aeris Atmos AI supported? I noticed it seems to be on a different platform in than some of the older Aeris computers. I don't have a cable, but I'd be glad to buy one to help you get data.

Does anyone know of anyway to import sensus manager log into macdive? I have older dives which are no longer on my sensus ultra that I would rather not have to manually import. any ideas?

What would be the best way to get the Aeris Atmos AI supported? I noticed it seems to be on a different platform in than some of the older Aeris computers. I don't have a cable, but I'd be glad to buy one to help you get data.

We already do have support for downloading data from the Aeris Atmos AI (compatible with the vtpro) in the libdivecomputer library. But it's not (yet?) enabled in MacDive. You'll have to ask Nick for that.

Does anyone know of anyway to import sensus manager log into macdive? I have older dives which are no longer on my sensus ultra that I would rather not have to manually import. any ideas?

I don't know which formats MacDive can import, so I can't help you with that. But are you sure those dives are no longer on your sensusultra? With the default sampling rate of 10 seconds the device can store approximately 1500 hours. That is more enough for the lifetime history for an average diver! I think your old dives are still on the device, but not downloaded anymore by the software to reduce the transfer time.

Can you send me a memory dump of your sensusultra to check? My email address is on the libdivecomputer website. The test application to create the dump can be downloaded here:

http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/builds/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom