New Mac OS X Dive App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it, there are two different general models for specifying the size of tanks.

The european or metric approach specifies the actual internal volume of the tank, e.g., 12 liters. If you took the valve off, filled it with water, and poured that into a measuring container, that's what you'd measure.

The US or imperial approach specifies the amount of 1 atm air that will be contained in the bottle at the working pressure. You can tell with common sense that an al80 doesn't have an internal volume of 80 cubic feet, so that 80 means something else. What it means, using the nominal numbers we generally use, is that if an al80 is filled to its working pressure of 3000 psi, it will contain the same gas that will occupy 80 cubic feet at 1 atmosphere (about 14.7 psi).

So you need two numbers, the tank cubic feet rating and the working pressure at which that cubic foot rating is made.

Your examples are about right, although if you search around you'll find some tables with more precise values, for example, a standard al80 actually holds something like 77.5 cubic feet of 1-atm gas at 3000 psi.
OK, look here for example:
Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

Reefduffer,

Thank you very the very thorough response! In order to accurately calculate the SAC rate using the imperial system, would I would need to know the exact working pressure for each cylinder I use according to hydrostatic tests, for that manufacturer in that size, or is it sufficient to simply use 3000 psi for an Al80 and 3500 for a steel 100?

Reefduffer,

Thank you very the very thorough response! In order to accurately calculate the SAC rate using the imperial system, would I would need to know the exact working pressure for each cylinder I use according to hydrostatic tests, for that manufacturer in that size, or is it sufficient to simply use 3000 psi for an Al80 and 3500 for a steel 100?

That would be close enough. You HP100 may be 3500psi, or it may be 3442 (or possibly even 3998, more rare). But 3500 will certainly get you in the ballpark.

How much of a donation would it take to develop support for Sherwood's Wisdom 2? LOL!! The software is a great piece of work! Thank you for looking out for the Mac world!

Reefduffer,

Could also create an input for that and make the sure supply the working pressure.

Did you email me about this ? Someone else did!

The SAC rate is dynamically calculated based on the air/tank. You shouldn't be able to manually enter it (well, not directly - you need to enter the actual values it uses to compute). I'll fix this before I release the next version.

Thank you. So, will I be able to manually enter in my own values in the future? I have a Gekko so Im not air integrated if thats what you mean...

Thank you. So, will I be able to manually enter in my own values in the future? I have a Gekko so Im not air integrated if thats what you mean...

You enter the start/end PSI/BAR and the tank details, and the panel on the right (and the main table) will show your overall SAC rate for the dive.

If you *DO* have air integration, the only difference is that a) the start/end air pressure values are filled out for you automatically, and b) if it's a model that records pressure every sample, then you get the per-minute SAC rate graph.

You will not be able to enter your own SAC rate in the future, no. You need to fill out the required details and it will get derived for you. There shouldn't be any need to do it manually.

Does that answer your questions?

No problem. And in other news - 1.5.2 is out now.

• Added support for the Aeris CompuMask, Epic, Elite T3 and Manta.
  • Added support for the Oceanic Datamask and Oceanic VT3.
  • Added support for the Mares Nemo and Mares Puck.
  • Added "Auto Add Images" feature to automatically add photos to dives based on when they were taken.
  • Added image thumbnails to profile graph (with preference to turn them on or off).
  • Added boots and gloves to default available gear types.
  • Changed Tank Size and Working Pressure to combo boxes.
  • Fixed an issue with the graph attempting to display depth/time with no dives.
  • Fixed a problem with drawing the dive profile graph.
  • Fixed an issue importing some oceanic text files.
  • Fixed not being able to edit the mix percentage.
  • Fixed an issue where the average SAC rate graph would not display.
  • Fixed Vyper2 Air Temp issue.
  • Fixed an issue with importing Vyper Air dives with no transmitter.
  • Fixed geo/atom parsing which was incorrect in some cases.
  • Fixed an issue with temperatures when merging dives.
  • Fixed image export to properly export jpeg.
  • Fixed an issue with text field focus when tabbing between fields.

Questions, problems.. you know the drill!

As always, I watch the growth of this application with keen interest, waiting for the day that the support will be added for Galileo. :)

Keep up the [-]god[/-] good work!!

Best Regards
Richard

Last edited:
As always, I watch the growth of this application with keen interest, waiting for the day that the support will be added for Galileo. :)

Keep up the god work!!

Best Regards
Richard
Ditto. :)

Any movement on supporting IR under OSX yet? I wonder if the jTrak guys could lend a hand... wasn't their software open source? (It's free, at any rate) I know their protocol stack only works with a very limited number (ok, ONE) of IR chipsets, but that would at least help the people who can scrounge up the correct IR dongle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom