New light manufactured by TRit21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRit21:
The battery canister is just at 10" long and just over 2" in diameter. The battery is a 10 cell NiMH battery.

This particular light has a 13 degree beam while a 8 degree beam is also available.
Oh okay, must just be the picture perspective.

Ditto on the 8 degree beam being more useable for most folks in a non-focused design.

I mistakenly said 8 degree when I actually meant 6 degree just to clarify one of my previous statements.

A focusable light may be on the way but right now I am concentrating on this design, for the immediate future anyway. The place I see this light being used alot if underwater video or photography. I have been wanting a high powered wide light for video for some time and this one will work perfectly. As far as signals ok, I will have to take your word for it but I didn't see any problems in the past with signals and I know several people using wide dispersion lights. I guess it is just what you are used to?

I will work on a focusable design soon, stay tuned. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks.

Please let us know how the video works out...

My concern with HID for video is that the spectral dispersion isn't very good. The color temperature is nice, but the spectral quality is poor with lots of peaks and valleys. This makes for some interesting color balance problems which are extremely difficult (if not impossible) to correct in your NLE software.

Well, I really want to see how the 6 degree looks. We had a discussion today about building an integrated mount/battery pack that would hold two light heads for video or still cameras. I can't wait to see what Tom comes up with.

Just to let everyone know, new latches are on order (bent inside instead of outside) with secondary latch, and 6 degee bulb is on order also (to see how that works and give everyone a choice of either). Thanks to everyone for all the input about the light. I am going to continue testing many different configurations and if there is something that you think would be cool or useful on a canister light then please do let me know.

I have completed design for a dual head for possible use for video or still photos. With the use of white balance adjustments still pictures on the surface looked pretty good. Of course, since I can only burn the light for a short time it is hard to set up a photo shoot with the light there but I did it and they looked pretty good. In the near future a friend of mine has a Sony camcorder with a new housing and we are going to try out the dual light head. I will let everyone know how that works. I am also going to try this out on my still u/w camera setup as well.

And yes, in the not to distant future I will develop a focusable head and try and keep it just as cheap as this current model, although that will take some doing. Again, thanks for all the input.

very timely thread as i am looking into hid lights, too. i am quite confused about the issue of the width of the beam. first of all, if i get a 13 degree what does it take to change to a 6 degree beam? is it just a matter of changing the (expensive) bulb or do you need a new reflector/light head, too.

second, i understand that a wide beam may be more problematic for signaling. now, i may be underestimating the importance of signaling but if your prime use for the light is to explore wrecks and do night dives wouldn't you want a wider beam such as 13 degrees? wouldn't 6 or 8 degrees - while great for signaling - be too narrow to explore underwater structures?

as you can tell, i am totally ignorant. all i know is this is quite an investment and i'd hate to get it wrong.

I prefer the narrow beam to wide even for general illumination in wrecks and such.

Wide is useful for things like video, but IMHO not for general diving use.

With a 13 degree beam you do light up more of the subject. If on a night dive, where visability is limited anyway and you want to see more of a reef, then a 13 degree bulb may work just fine for you. For video and photos a wider beam would be more desirable for the same reason. Some people just prefer a little narrower beam than others, that is all. I have done signalling with a wide beam and it does work, maybe not as well as a narrower beam but it still does work.

As far as changing bulbs, basically changing the expensive bulb is all you need to do, going from a 13 degree to a 6 degree. Simple as that. As long as you don't change battery types or voltage (amount of batteries in the pack) then the ballast will remain the same for 13 degree, 6 degree. I will be offering both 13 degree and 6 degree in the 'Lite Sabre' for everyone's personal preference. Anymore question please let me know, I will answer any I can.

Better check the usage of the name "Lite Sabre" or any spellings thereof, I think Green Force lights have a light marketed as "Light Sabre". Better safe than sorry.

I just searched the 'GreenForce' website and couldn't find any mention of Light Sabre or anything like that. Do you have any info you could email me or point to me that is on the web. Thanks again for any information.

Also wanted everyone to know, if you have any suggestions or have said to yourself 'I really wish a dive light had this.....' please let me know. I will try and incorporate any suggestions into future lights so that maybe we can finally have a dive light that has elliminated all the nuances that others have. Thanks.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom