New James Cameron movie..."Sanctum"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked the movie for what it is. I was not expecting a oscar scale movie and knew it would not be a A movie but for what the story line told, it was a good movie. The beggining 3D was damn good. Cave was 90% real, diving was spot on for what little I know about RB and caving. My GF said no way about getting into Cave diving and RB diving. Overall I would rate it a B movie with good action adventure. Alittle graphic but very real world when it comes to accidents involving caving and diving. **** happens fast when your underground, there is little to no recovering from an accident or severe injury while caving and/or cave diving.

We watched The Real Sanctum on Nat or Discovery? and it told of the real story in Australia and gave some footage of the original footage by Wes, as well as how this movie was made. It really added alot of value to Sanctum.

I would recommend divers and spelunkers to see it. Just don't expect Avatar quality when you walk in.

My wife and I saw it yesterday. Good, not great, which was pretty much what we were expecting.

This was my first 3D movie. The 3D glasses were a bit of a PITA to keep propped up over my regular glasses, and I often found the effects to be a distraction. Still, the photography was excellent.

Spoiler alert:
I'm not a cave diver nor do I have any rebreather experience, but the first accident struck me as implausible. And at the end, the father and son found what the dad said was a perfectly good rebreather, but for whatever reason the son elected to use a pony bottle to get out of the cave.

Spoiler alert:
I'm not a cave diver nor do I have any rebreather experience, but the first accident struck me as implausible. And at the end, the father and son found what the dad said was a perfectly good rebreather, but for whatever reason the son elected to use a pony bottle to get out of the cave.

I had similar thoughts.

There were a couple of panic scenes that I would not really expect from divers of the caliber required to be in this position in the first place.

As far as the scene at the end, I can buy that the rebreather may have been non-functional ('sorb all used up?, batteries dead?) but I can't understand why he would take the diluent bottle and not at least take a first stage with an inflator hose to breathe off of instead of straight from the tank valve.

More dramatic that way I suppose, and and non-divers wouldn't really appreciate the difference.

Saw it with a group from Hollywood Divers. My dive buddy is my teenage son (my hubby also came....um, so we can scratch cave diving off our "things to do in the future" list). Sitting on the other side of me was our other dive buddy, Robert. So at one point I whispered to him "I wonder if the billionaire knows he's expendable at this point because I'd slit his throat to save my kid." Robert laughed and then said, "um, good to know". I think I overshared.
But anyway! Great movie. Wont be winning any oscars, and maybe could have been better......but totally enjoyed the night, and isn't that what we go to the movies for?

Back in the 80's the Screen Writer of the movie, an avid cave diver, and a group of other divers, including Wes Skiles got trapped in a cave in Australia when a tropical down pour dumped 3-5 ft of rain in 20 mins. The cave was much like the one depicted in the movie. That scene where the rock fell and blocked the exit actually happened and that is how the real group got trapped. The writer went on his own and found another way out and got the rest of the team rescued. Everyone survived and Wes got it all on film. Also happened to a group in Mexico a few years back. Wes was on the rescue team.

No. Wes was trapped in Huautla, too. There in that case, the way wasn't blocked. They just had to wait for the water to recede for a few days. I figured he was either totally freaked out -- 'ALL CAVES FLOOD!' Or he was totally nonchalant, 'No big deal, happens all the time....'

Okay. Well, we went to see this thing. Maybe I'm just too old and have seen too many movies.

Cameron is a very good technical film maker, and although he wasn't director here, he still can get it to happen. His films are always technically well put together. This one was no exception. Reasonably good use of scuba and climbing technology and techniques for Hollywood. The cave could have been more stunning. There are so many knock-out caves to model on. Maybe the sets were more true to what they were supposed to be exploring, but anything that would have helped, considering the lame script.

Sadly, this was just about every other expedition-goes-bad movie ever made. Expert, hard, cold, no-nonsense to the point of abusive, everyone respects but hardly anyone likes leader.

His obligatory one or two assistants of vague but other nationality.

The guy who doesn't want to be there but is.

The ultra-rich sponsor. His naive girlfriend. And the usual crew of bit players.

The formula says the hard-man leader will keep them together at any cost, outrage some of them doing it, will turn out to be a good guy, and will, of course, die selflessly. [yawn]

The leader's other-nationality right hand man. He is, of course, doomed from the start, as he always is. It's only a matter of how he will die and when, but it won't be too long, because he's expendable in the name of getting things exciting. In this case, the bonus is two of these guys, so we get a bonus death. He can't die too soon, though. We need him to tell some stories about how you should really get to know the leader.

The most predictable of all (although it's a close contest) is the rich sponsor. He is, of course, smartass, disregards the leader whenever he wants, and (as he always must in such movies) gets his girlfriend killed, turns coward (we knew he would) to save himself as the expense of others, and dies.

The rest of the crew meet bad ends. Can't have them around as distractions from things like the son asking to be taught Coleridge while climbing the cave. If you didn't see this warm hearted renewal of father-son love coming from the first moment the son made it clear he didn't like his old man, you haven't been seeing enough movies.

I can't fault Cameron too much for the bum script. What kind of imaginative plot is even possible. I mean, okay - you want to make a movie about cave diving. But just because you can doesn't mean you should, at least unless and until you can think up some semblance of an original plot. Makes me wonder if they didn't get way too far into pre-production before they had to proceed with hack script work. Cameron is one of the best at turning tons of money into a major piece of technical work under the most difficult conditions (after first creating those conditions) and apparently now, getting others to do the same. But the script stinks on ice, and the technical work wasn't enough to keep me from wishing I had waited for the DVD.

Bottom line. The tired standard characters running on worn out plot rails detracted from the decent film work which was competent without being stunning. It wasn't interesting. It wasn't fun. At one point, the father and son pass through another sink hole where a Japanese tank fell in back in WWII. Skeltons scattered around. I think you could have made a better film about those soldiers. I think I would have cared about them. As one reviewer said, "I'd rather just go on a dive."

(The saddest thing is maybe that the best part of the experience was the Coming Attractions trailer for Cowboys and Aliens. How can you resist that premise?)

Okay. Well, we went to see this thing. Maybe I'm just too old and have seen too many movies.

Maybe me too...this movie had a few good moments but was overall a big disappointment

(The saddest thing is maybe that the best part of the experience was the Coming Attractions trailer for Cowboys and Aliens. How can you resist that premise?)

Again, I agree.

Well, we saw it yesterday, and I'm glad I went to see it, although I think most of what has been said about the movie is true. The script and plot are hackneyed, but what puzzles me the most is why Wight felt he had to make the movie so danged bleak. The original story wasn't -- and even if you felt the need to kill somebody to make the point that caves are unforgiving, did you have to kill EVERYBODY to make that point?

I thought, overall, they did a good job of the sets -- the entry into the no-mount restriction has the right "texture" of limestone. But how DID everybody get their gear back on in the middle of that passage? (I'm not normally a nitpicker on films, but that one was particularly irritating since it happens TWICE.)

I did learn something from the movie, though. If I ever needed a reason why full face masks were a bad idea, I have it now :)

Well, I didn't find the movie to be bleak, in fact, I found that I could save a lot of money on cave diving. It turns out that the whiny kid gets through all of this without even being a certified diver.
I use to dive in caves with no training whatsoever - I didn't realize that I was in a cave until I surfaced underwater, got out, and walked around underground. This was in Hawaii, and no one ever mentioned any stuff like this.
And then I realized that I better find where I had dropped my tank so I could find my way back out through the convoluted tunnels that I had to memorize on the way in. I guess that I did, since what passes for me just typed this.

So I'm glad that I saw the movie - for $9.75 plus $89 for a medium popcorn I felt that I was entertained. I was kinda bummed later when I read about the engine room fire in the M/V Argosy at the Kirkland Marina that pretty much finished her off.

So hey, if I go mapping the miles and miles of the Andros cave system, I don't need no stinkin' line. That kid got out, and so will I, although sometimes I'm not that sure about what I remember.

And after I do Andros, then maybe I can attempt to document the Moses Lake cave system.

Back
Top Bottom