New Halcyon knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone points out to me why this isn't a good idea I might agree, I can't see why not though, it's certainly not a 'snag' issue

verybaddiver:
If someone points out to me why this isn't a good idea I might agree, I can't see why not though, it's certainly not a 'snag' issue
The intention of this forum is to discuss DIR aproach to diving and to offer solutions which will be consistent to DIR philosophy. "Danglies" of any kind are not considered DIR. In your case knife attached with cord is entanglement hazard and even worse your cutting device can put you in danger and at the same time in can be unreachable.

(hmm second thoughts i probably wouldn't use it in low/zero visability, so agree with you on a standardization of equipment which is DIR).

ok i've thought about it more on the larger scale of things, but i'll continue to use it on my visibility dives. And taking only one cutting tool with me, its vital that i maintain one, for when i will actually NEED it to be in the sheath. Obviously tech divers carrying spare cutting tools will care less about losing their primary.

Although i do believe your "advice" was pretty badly put (I'm simply not into the this is an entanglement hazard point of view). The main reason I back the DIR philosophy is because everything involved has been clearly explained into why its done that way.

If one does open water dives then this cord would not be an issue per se. But once you go into wrecks and caves......finning horizontal with a 1m string potentially hanging below my waist is a dangerous situation. If the line snags and you then can not get the knife out to save yourself/buddy, the world turns dark very quickly. I personally dont want to be in that situation, or aid to creating it.

Personal prefernece vs. DIR approach?

verybaddiver:
(hmm second thoughts i probably wouldn't use it in low/zero visability, so agree with you on a standardization of equipment which is DIR).

ok i've thought about it more on the larger scale of things, but i'll continue to use it on my visibility dives. And taking only one cutting tool with me, its vital that i maintain one, for when i will actually NEED it to be in the sheath. Obviously tech divers carrying spare cutting tools will care less about losing their primary.

Although i do believe your "advice" was pretty badly put (I'm simply not into the this is an entanglement hazard point of view). The main reason I back the DIR philosophy is because everything involved has been clearly explained into why its done that way.
Take two cutting devices if you need two. Knife on the waist belt, shears in the pocket.

Done.

verybaddiver:
Well, if you don't see it as an entanglement hazard (which I do), look at it as a deployment and re-stowing PITA. Plus you wouldn't be able to hand it off to your buddy very easily. All this, just because your afraid your going to drop it?

ericfine50:
Guys - its a knife. If you drop it and lose it - its gone. Not a big deal.
Naw, you got to tie it to yourself just like the mitts your mommy use to make you wear in winter time.

Thanks Jeff - I knew I was missing something.
I wonder if i have to take my knife out and I cut away some netting, would my 3m piece of shock cord get in the way? I could cut that as well? I could also snag that on something - like a piece of the wreck or the sea floor

ericfine50:
Thanks Jeff - I knew I was missing something.
I wonder if i have to take my knife out and I cut away some netting, would my 3m piece of shock cord get in the way? I could cut that as well? I could also snag that on something - like a piece of the wreck or the sea floor
I say nuts to all of this. Lets just go down with underwater jackhammers and machetes and cut our way through the wreck/reef. Cut things up into small enough pieces and you won't get entangled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom