New Halcyon knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks great.

But if you make the pouch deeper... so that the knife goes in past the little button... then you may not need the bungee. The button thingie should hold it in pretty tight...mine does, anyways.

I know what you meant. But, the hilt of a knife doesn't fit to 2 inch width.

I think this is the same knife on Halcyon website, so I am wondering how they handle this matter. I have never seen anyone who has "Halcyon" knife...

Stephen Ash:
Looks great.

But if you make the pouch deeper... so that the knife goes in past the little button... then you may not need the bungee. The button thingie should hold it in pretty tight...mine does, anyways.

Hmm...

I've had one for a long time. It fits in the sheath pretty darn tight. No way it will fall out. I don't recall how the sheath is sewn. Seems like it is just plain 2 in webbing. I'll look when I get home but that will be a few days.

I had one of the Akonas a long time ago. Just grind down some of the plastic and it will fit. It will look ugly as hell, but it will work.

One of the original sheaths H made did incorporate a bungee loop to hold what appeared to be some sort of knife that was sold by Oceanic IIRC. Don't quote me on the brand, but H did offer a sheath with a bungee loop in the past.

The best sheath I have used is the one with the stiffer webbing they used to sell. I just use the Betty Crocker Style DIY knife and it fits perfectly.

Some people will even use one of the holders that come with the mini Maglite flashlites. It's a little small in the opening for the waist strap, so if you have webbing that is just a tad to wide (yes, not all webbing is exactly the same width) it can be a PITA to thread. It can be done by folding the webbing in two when trying to thread it through the sheath. It's snug and won't slide very easily.

hoosier:
I know what you meant. But, the hilt of a knife doesn't fit to 2 inch width.

I think this is the same knife on Halcyon website, so I am wondering how they handle this matter. I have never seen anyone who has "Halcyon" knife...

divernva:
Sorry chiming in a little late...

verybaddiver - you WEREN'T being sarcastic when you made your original post?!? Good grief... glad that was put to bed.

If you drop knife, your backup is on your partner. I like carrying EMT shears in my thigh pocket, obviously not as accessible as my knife at my crotch strap.

My Omersub flat knive (similar to the scubapro) came with a soft webbing type sheath with a flap. The knife slips into the sheath and the flap covers the flat handle, secures with velcro (don't like just the velcro, but the sheath is a good fit to the blade). Webbing belt loop on the back barely allows me to slip my SS buckle through. This type of sheath seems easy enough to assemble with some leftover webbing and some creative sewing...

Using bungee to secure a plastic sheath seems good idea, but how would you secure the bungee to the sheath? I'm thinking along the lines of a short bungee tied to form a ring, figure "8" around the top of the sheath and bottom w/crossing point creating the belt loop against the diver's waist. Since the tip of the sheath is tapered, it would be easy for the bottom loop to slip out when you "giant stride" off a boat, for instance. If you make the bungee too tight, it would difficult to remove from the belt... but I guess that would be the only option. I'm not talking about 6-10" bladed knife with a full handle... that would be a pain (literally) up front near the crotch strap.
It's nice that you have your DIY projects and many ideas. However, this is DIR forum and IMHO a place to discuss DIR solutions.

I've read all 7 pages of this post, and have one fundamental question. What constitutes a DIR knife. Everything I've read says is should be a three inch blade with a blunt tip, serrated edge, and line cutter, with a sheath that allows it to be mounted on a 2 inch webbing. With all the rhetoric in this thread it is difficult to figure out whether I need a kitchen knife or a bowie knife(LOL)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom