New GUE Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza:
Dude I have been on that list for over a year now and one thing I have learnt from it.....is that you should ask that question!!!
JJ 23:16

Thus saith the LORD of caves, Hearken not unto the words of the false prophets that prophesy unto you... A VISION OF SHORT HOSES WHILE DIVING OPEN WATER...

Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, the hose shall be 40 inches long or possibly 72 and to not cause my people to err by their lies;

JeffG:
JJ 23:16

Thus saith the LORD of caves, Hearken not unto the words of the false prophets that prophesy unto you... A VISION OF SHORT HOSES WHILE DIVING OPEN WATER...

Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, the hose shall be 40 inches long or possibly 72 and to not cause my people to err by their lies;
:lol:

double post

Azza:
Na, not yet.
OK so I wanted to know how long my hoses were in imperial so I measured them and used an online metric to imperial convertor.
My stage hoses are 38.18 inches. Damn thats close enough isnt it or am I still going to die a horrible stroke death???

I really think you guys are missing the point on the standardized hoses. For stages, 40 inches is what you need for the hose length to route properly and be comfortable when carrying multiple AL80 stages. 36 or 38 inch octo hoses were attempted but they aren't quite long enough and restrict head movement and comfort slightly resulting in non-swivel elbow strokery and other attempted fixes sneaking in. Going to a standard 40in is a better solution.

For the 7' hose it has been covered. But I will repeat it anyway. My wife is 5' in shoes, one of my regular teammates is 6'3" and twice her weight and I am in between. We all use the exact same backplate and hose length with no problems. 7' is not just for overhead. You need it if you are on scooters in open water and will need to get back to a particular location before ascent In addition, the 2 extra feet is far more comfortable if there will be any amount of swimming or deco time spent sharing gas. Having a real OOA is far different than a controlled 1 minute S-drill and you don't get to try again if you screw it up. The 5' or 6' hose have no advantages when diving over a 7' hose and are not as easy to use in a real OOA. You simply tuck the 7 hose in a harness if there is no can light. This allows adjustment to exactly what is a comfortable length for the individual diver. Some smaller divers still tuck part of the hose even with a can light and some don't bother. The 40" is convienent from a "looks like a traditional OW rig" perspective but has far less utility in an actual OOA.

Azza:
But the biggest part I am having trouble understanding is that some dude is going to change his hose length when it's "officially changed".
That "some dude" is doing a GUE class, and yes, that "some dude" will follow thier protocols. Until then he is actually still using a *horror of horrors* non-standard 5 footer.

Azza:
Isnt it easier to stick with one hose that can be used in all situations?
Probably, but I'll burn that bridge before I cross it.

In the future it would help if you would either ridicule me for blindly adhering to a standard or for doing my own thing, but not both in the same post. :roll:

RTodd:
I really think you guys are missing the point on the standardized hoses. For stages, 40 inches is what you need for the hose length to route properly and be comfortable when carrying multiple AL80 stages. 36 or 38 inch octo hoses were attempted but they aren't quite long enough and restrict head movement and comfort slightly resulting in non-swivel elbow strokery and other attempted fixes sneaking in. Going to a standard 40in is a better solution.
I do have to admit the 38 incher is a little tight with 3 stages but the amount of 3 stage diving I have been doing lately has been rather limited.
I may well go out and find some nice 40" hoses and see how they go.

StSomewhere:
That "some dude" is doing a GUE class, and yes, that "some dude" will follow thier protocols. Until then he is actually still using a *horror of horrors* non-standard 5 footer.

Probably, but I'll burn that bridge before I cross it.

In the future it would help if you would either ridicule me for blindly adhering to a standard or for doing my own thing, but not both in the same post. :roll: Zealanders...
Hey if you think I was ridiculing you then I apologise. That wasnt my intention at all. It's been a while since I have been reading any dir posts so I was simply surprised that the debate over what size length primary hose is still going on. I thought it was all sorted a few years back. No offense intended mate.

BTW have you asked your GUE instructor what size primary you should have? All of the GUE guys here that I know use the one 7 footer for single or twins, in all fairness tho most of 'em don't dive singles much...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom