New GUE Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza:
What I am having trouble with understanding is why is this changing all the time. First it was the 7 foot hose for all diving, then the 5 foot hose for OW diving, then the 40" hose for OW diving, and now (and I am only getting this from this thread) they are looking at changing it again????
I don't think it has ever changed, just never really documented properly and then it got a life of its own on the internet. Hose length is a pretty trivial thing. (IMO I think the 5' hose was an experiment that just never really solved a problem. I dove one for ~4 months and then dumped it.)

Azza:
But the biggest part I am having trouble understanding is that some dude is going to change his hose length when it's "officially changed".
I don't understand it either, but it sure makes for some funny stuff :wink:

Azza:
Isnt it easier to stick with one hose that can be used in all situations?
Maybe...but I like the 40" for www stuff, but if I forget to swap it, I wouldn't be jumping off of any cliffs...but hose protectors....thats another story.

Azza:
Yep I understand that. What I am having trouble with understanding is why is this changing all the time. First it was the 7 foot hose for all diving, then the 5 foot hose for OW diving, then the 40" hose for OW diving, and now (and I am only getting this from this thread) they are looking at changing it again????

But the biggest part I am having trouble understanding is that some dude is going to change his hose length when it's "officially changed".

Isnt it easier to stick with one hose that can be used in all situations?

I think it changes depending on what halcyon has in over-stock! :D

...just kidding... no one need wig out!

JeffG:
I don't think it has ever changed, just never really documented properly and then it got a life of its own on the internet.
Ahh. Makes sense now. I must admit I have never tried the 40" hose thing as it seemed like to much of a hassle to get specially made hoses when the 7 footer worked fine.

Thanks

Azza:
Ahh. Makes sense now. I must admit I have never tried the 40" hose thing as it seemed like to much of a hassle to get specially made hoses when the 7 footer worked fine.

Thanks
Well, the 40" is just a deco/stage hose, so I just swap from my stage reg.

JeffG:
Well, the 40" is just a deco/stage hose, so I just swap from my stage reg.
My stage reg hoses have always been the 36" i think. I dont really know as I am hopeless with imperial units of measure but basically I have the same length hose on my stages as I would on a "standard" octi.

Azza:
My stage reg hoses have always been the 36" i think. I dont really know as I am hopeless with imperial units of measure but basically I have the same length hose on my stages as I would on a "standard" octi.
OMG....and this strokery didn't kill you? :wink:

JeffG:
OMG....and this strokery didn't kill you? :wink:
Na, not yet.
OK so I wanted to know how long my hoses were in imperial so I measured them and used an online metric to imperial convertor.
My stage hoses are 38.18 inches. Damn thats close enough isnt it or am I still going to die a horrible stroke death???

Azza:
My stage hoses are 38.18 inches. Damn thats close enough isnt it or am I still going to die a horrible stroke death???
We might have to post on the Gavin Scooter list and see what the great and glorious GI3 carried out off the mountains.

JeffG:
We might have to post on the Gavin Scooter list and see what the great and glorious GI3 carried out off the mountains.
Dude I have been on that list for over a year now and one thing I have learnt from it.....is that you should ask that question!!!

Hoosier,

What is an inner-circle expert? Whatever it is, I'll bet she does not claim to be one of them.

Please refer to Tobins post. I think he was correct as to why the length of the long doesn't need to very that much. If your GF doesn't use a can light while diving a backplate and the cord can be tucked, it almost certainly won't be too long. Plate size won't make a difference. She would just have more tucked in the waistband.

With a can light mounted on the waist, depending on the plate length, I guess it could make a difference if the plate was really short. I have no idea since I have never experienced a FredT plate up close, but I doubt it is that short.

hoosier:
Maybe, your GF is also your inner-circle expert, but don't assume all divers are DIR trained. My GF isn't interested in any DIR stuff. She is using her common sense and accept a long hose concept. Sure, she can wear XXL underwear without any problems even though her size is XS. In addition, she is using Fred T's small size back plate. I kid you not, too....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom