New GUE Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wait untill the bits about computers get some air time!

JimC:
Just wait untill the bits about computers get some air time!
Hey...I just saw...you now need a stop watch. Cool

JeffG:
Hey...I just saw...you now need a stop watch. Cool
OMG....I see HOSE PROTECTORS...the cliffs...the cliffs where are they??????

Maybe I'm seeing things but under the gear selection doesn't in show the Halcyon with the ACB ditchable weight system attached?

Anybody read JJ's piece on the evolution of DIR? It's fascinating, and I'm really trying to read between the lines to figure out what he's saying.

However, to be fair, there is a certain degree of legitimate tension generated by imprudent advocates ofDIR, who, having personally benefited from the system, take it upon them to become almost evangelical in the promotion of what they understand to be its tenets. However, this is not an intrinsic weakness of DIR; all successful movements have their zealots.

There is more to being a GUE diver than being DIR, among other things, it entails a standardized measure of competence (training) and commitment to both civility and non-smoking,
(Italics mine)

The unavoidable division of DIR is the result of many factors, ranging from breakdowns in channels of communication, to differing interpretations, to personal agendas, to private experiences, to power plays, to simple disagreements among proponents. As individuals and groups appropriate DIR they will often make choices very different from those that I and other founders of D IR would have made. It is now necessary for us to recognize that DIR will be repurposed by those it has influenced in ways that serve their own interests.

Interesting comments.

Xanthro:
Maybe I'm seeing things but under the gear selection doesn't in show the Halcyon with the ACB ditchable weight system attached?
THE HORRORS....the world has ended as we know it

TSandM:
Anybody read JJ's piece on the evolution of DIR? It's fascinating, and I'm really trying to read between the lines to figure out what he's saying.
Actually, whats funny about that is that a distinction between a GUE Diver and a DIR diver started after the patent for DIR was rejected.

ergo..they (Gue) lost control of what could be labeled DIR.

You're spot on here. Just follow the money trail.....

JeffG:
Actually, whats funny about that is that a distinction between a GUE Diver and a DIR diver started after the patent for DIR was rejected.

ergo..they (Gue) lost control of what could be labeled DIR.

detroit diver:
You're spot on here. Just follow the money trail.....
Doesn't change the "system", but if you understand the politics thats going on, it helps put into context some of the comments branded about.

JeffG:
Thats not what they are saying.....

If you are in an overhead...you must use a hose that allows divers to exit single file sharing gas.

If you are doing an open water diver, the diver can opt for a shorter hose, but you can use an 7' for ow if you want. (I use a 40" for my www stuff). I find the 5' hose to be a compromise between the 40" and the 7'.

Yep I understand that. What I am having trouble with understanding is why is this changing all the time. First it was the 7 foot hose for all diving, then the 5 foot hose for OW diving, then the 40" hose for OW diving, and now (and I am only getting this from this thread) they are looking at changing it again????

But the biggest part I am having trouble understanding is that some dude is going to change his hose length when it's "officially changed".

Isnt it easier to stick with one hose that can be used in all situations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom