New GUE Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
you can either go with the 5' or 6' hoses. the 7' hoses are for taller divers or divers who use a can light wherein they need the extra length to tuck under the light. i myself am 6' tall and tuck my hose in my waist strap and noticed that it would dislodge when i would turn my head at an extreme angle. got the 7' hose and problem solved even though though that their is a bit excess hose tucked in my waist strap.

but ask Shugar when he experienced an ooa and benefited tremendously with air sharing with me. beats having to share air while bumping against each other in the strong currents of bahura in anilao.

I have deployed the 6 ft hose in a real OOA situation and I feel that it need not be that long for open water OOA, well at least for my application. I think 40 would be just about right to run under the arm and up around the neck and yet be still comfortable as a donated piece :) thanks everyone.

The length of the primary hose should be determined by the situation and the size of the diver.

In a confined space where air-sharing buddies might need to exit single file, the hose needs to be long enough to accomodate that. Typically, a seven foot hose will work.

In an open water situation where a single file exit wouldn't be necessary, the hose needs to be long enough to allow the two divers to swim comfortably, side-by-side. Typically, a five foot hose will work.

In addition, body size needs to be considered. Really tall divers might need longer hoses to be effective in either situation, really wide divers might need longer hoses to allow for efficient routing and stowage. In any event, a fair number of divers need six foot or eight foot hoses.

Axua:
I haven't heard of a 40" hose before, so I'll scout around for this and try it out in an open water OOA scenario.

40" is the standard stage/deco bottle hose length - should be easy to find.

That's funny. Becki is 5'-2" and she uses the 7 ft. hose with no problem. If you don't have a light, it tucks into the waist with no problem.

The old 6 ft hoses were pure BS. Too long to route under the arm and to short to go under a light or tuck.

btw, 40" hoses are what we use with stage regs. Typical OW hoses are generally 32"-36" in length from the manufacturer. I have yet to see a hose as short as 28" that comes from the manufacturer with the reg. That seems pretty short to me.

hoosier:
5ft hose is ok without a canister light. We, my GF and I, are using it as a single rig... There are some members who believe that one size is all and human size is universal, such as back plate size or hose length. I am wondering if their family is wearing the same size underwears.:wink: I accept a long hose concept, but I don't agree that everyone should has the same hose length. 7ft hose is definately too long for my GF, 5'2".

Dan Gibson:
That's funny. Becki is 5'-2" and she uses the 7 ft. hose with no problem. If you don't have a light, it tucks into the waist with no problem.

The old 6 ft hoses were pure BS. Too long to route under the arm and to short to go under a light or tuck.

A few of my general observations regarding hose lenghts:

Diver height has very little effect on the required hose lenghts for either the 7 ft primary, or the SPG hose.

Why? Because it is the lenght of the Back Plate that for the most part determines the necessary lenght, and back plates don't vary a great deal.

Look at the SPG hose. Routes from the reg to the waist dring. If I'm 5'5" tall the distance between the reg and the waist Dring is the same as if I'm 6'3".

The backplate slots determine where the waist strap is relative to the tanks. There may be slight variations due to tank position for trim, but not very much.

Our medium plate is 1" shorter than the Large Plate, this will have some small effect, but not the 10" difference between the 5'5" diver and the 6'3" diver one might assume based on height alone.

Same basic deal on the 7ft primary. Hose runs down from the reg, under the canister, and up the chest. The distance from the reg to "under the canister" doesn't change much with diver height, neither does the distance from "under the canister" to up the chest. Reg to canister distance will vary only a few inches at most, even with different sized plates.

Tobin

reefraff:
In an open water situation where a single file exit wouldn't be necessary, the hose needs to be long enough to allow the two divers to swim comfortably, side-by-side. Typically, a five foot hose will work.
In the Hog forum, yes.

Since this is the DIR forum, the word I'm getting is maybe or maybe not.

The 5' isn't well regarded even for OW divers (but I'm still using my borrowed five footer for now, until its officially changed).

New site is great. :14:

StSomewhere:
In the Hog forum, yes.

Since this is the DIR forum, the word I'm getting is maybe or maybe not.

The 5' isn't well regarded even for OW divers (but I'm still using my borrowed five footer for now, until its officially changed).
Are you serious? This not a troll or flame, and please don't take it the wrong way but...Are you not able to use your own common sense for this or do you feel the need to conform to the "Official Word" at all times?

If you use a 7 footer in the overhead, then why not use it in the OW. Sure its not needed for the same reasons as in the overhead but isnt one of the reasons for dir that all your equipment is the same and interchangable?
Also if the 7 footer routes well for twins then it should route well for singles no problem

Dan Gibson:
That's funny. Becki is 5'-2" and she uses the 7 ft. hose with no problem. If you don't have a light, it tucks into the waist with no problem..

Maybe, your GF is also your inner-circle expert, but don't assume all divers are DIR trained. My GF isn't interested in any DIR stuff. She is using her common sense and accept a long hose concept. Sure, she can wear XXL underwear without any problems even though her size is XS. In addition, she is using Fred T's small size back plate. I kid you not, too....:)

Azza:
If you use a 7 footer in the overhead, then why not use it in the OW. Sure its not needed for the same reasons as in the overhead but isnt one of the reasons for dir that all your equipment is the same and interchangable?
Also if the 7 footer routes well for twins then it should route well for singles no problem
Thats not what they are saying.....

If you are in an overhead...you must use a hose that allows divers to exit single file sharing gas.

If you are doing an open water diver, the diver can opt for a shorter hose, but you can use an 7' for ow if you want. (I use a 40" for my www stuff). I find the 5' hose to be a compromise between the 40" and the 7'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom