New GUE Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xizang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
check-out the new (updated, redesigned) gue site www.gue.com

question: on the equipment configuration it says there that the long-hose is optional for shallow water diving. What does that mean, one can use a regular 28 inch hose with a 22 inch back-up on recreational dives?

Axua:

question: on the equipment configuration it says there that the long-hose is optional for shallow water diving. What does that mean, one can use a regular 28 inch hose with a 22 inch back-up on recreational dives?

hey jai i saw the site as well yesterday. defintely looks better than the old one plus more info and pics on equipment configurations.

as to your question on the longhoses, it also says that in the dir-f book that longhoses are optional for open water divers and divers not engaged in diving overhead environments yet my Dir-f instructor insisted that i get the longhose. i aint complaining:) i see the logic of the longhouse and have adopted it in 100% of my dives. this will become of great imprtance when i do dive in more challenging overhead environments in the near future.

might as well start it right early o in the game:)

Axua:
I think if you ask your GUE instructor you'll find that the 40" hose for the primary routed under your right arm used to be acceptable for recreational OW dives (there are still pics of GI3's OW rig with one at either GUE.com or WKPP.org), but its not considered DIR anymore. The latest is that the 5' hose may be next on that list.

ok. so the 5 ft hose is considered a short hose and anything more than that is considered a long hose? the short hose mentioned does not refer to the traditional 28-30 inch short hose?

The new GUE site mentions like a 36" short hose???, I haven't heard of that before. There are people who have used the 40" hose which is the short hose. That's the minimum length for a hose you'd want to route under your right arm.

The 5' is technically a long hose (which is more about the way its routed than the length), but there seems to be a preference to go ahead and go to the 7' hose instead. Don't pay a lot of attention to what you read on the GUE website -- even the new one -- because some of that material is old or outdated. Your best bet is always to contact your instructor because they will have the most current standards, etc. available to them. Spoon can get you in touch with the right person in the Philippines.

The new GUE site looks nice!

It's much more attractive and professional looking.

Christian

StSomewhere:
The new GUE site mentions like a 36" short hose???, I haven't heard of that before. There are people who have used the 40" hose which is the short hose. That's the minimum length for a hose you'd want to route under your right arm.

The 5' is technically a long hose (which is more about the way its routed than the length), but there seems to be a preference to go ahead and go to the 7' hose instead. Don't pay a lot of attention to what you read on the GUE website -- even the new one -- because some of that material is old or outdated. Your best bet is always to contact your instructor because they will have the most current standards, etc. available to them. Spoon can get you in touch with the right person in the Philippines.

actually im not really interested in complying with GUE standards, but more curious on the rational behind the hose lengths. I use a 2 meter hose and do find it a bit over spec for open water, recreational diving and the standard 28-30 a bit short for a comfortable air share. I haven't heard of a 40" hose before, so I'll scout around for this and try it out in an open water OOA scenario.

Axua:
ok. so the 5 ft hose is considered a short hose and anything more than that is considered a long hose? the short hose mentioned does not refer to the traditional 28-30 inch short hose?

5ft hose is ok without a canister light. We, my GF and I, are using it as a single rig... There are some members who believe that one size is all and human size is universal, such as back plate size or hose length. I am wondering if their family is wearing the same size underwears.:wink: I accept a long hose concept, but I don't agree that everyone should has the same hose length. 7ft hose is definately too long for my GF, 5'2".

Axua:

I took a look at the new website... the equipment configuration page. I thought that I had been re-directed to Halcyon.net.

Axua:
actually im not really interested in complying with GUE standards, but more curious on the rational behind the hose lengths. I use a 2 meter hose and do find it a bit over spec for open water, recreational diving and the standard 28-30 a bit short for a comfortable air share. I haven't heard of a 40" hose before, so I'll scout around for this and try it out in an open water OOA scenario.

you can either go with the 5' or 6' hoses. the 7' hoses are for taller divers or divers who use a can light wherein they need the extra length to tuck under the light. i myself am 6' tall and tuck my hose in my waist strap and noticed that it would dislodge when i would turn my head at an extreme angle. got the 7' hose and problem solved even though though that their is a bit excess hose tucked in my waist strap.

but ask Shugar when he experienced an ooa and benefited tremendously with air sharing with me. beats having to share air while bumping against each other in the strong currents of bahura in anilao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom