New Gear Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm tired of renting gear and am ready to purchase my full set. I've got Oceanic fins, mask, and snorkel. The shop where I'm looking to buy can set me up with the following.

Scubapro Mk25/A700 - 697
SP Knighthawk M w/Air 2 - 652
Wisdom2 w/compass and qd - 675

So I'm looking at $2120 for this package which is high for a first set but it's high quality stuff at a decent discount.

Any words of wisdom on this purchase? Thanks

Bc and reg are an excellent choice. I dive with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The shop where I'm looking to buy..."

Hard to tell, but that sentence leaves me wondering if you are focusing too much on the dive shop you deal with and what they sell, rather than than deciding what you want then deciding where to get it. If that's the case, I'd expand your horizons to more of the gear available out there. While it's nice to buy from your local or favorite shop, it can be rather limiting in choices to purchase all your major gear there.

And you may think you have done research, but the fact that you asked for opinions without even saying why you are leaning towards any of these choices, implies you might not have really looked into the things you should.

I dove with Scubapro regs for almost 20 years so nothing against them. They make good regs but you're paying for the name and there are tons of other good regs out there. Do pay attention to what brands you can get serviced wherever you're going to be. If it's the right reg great, but I don't think you know that yet.

Ditto on the BC. I have a Ladyhawk (similar to the Knighthawk) that I like a lot. I travel a lot, and considering what it is I actually don't find the weight/bulk is too bad for checked luggage. But I've had it for a number of years and there are a lot of great new choices so I don't know if I would pick it now. The AIR2 type units have their fans, but more detractors. Read about the drawbacks if you haven't. I learned to dive with one and would never buy one.

Lots of bucks for a computer. Maybe it's perfect for you, but yet again I don't think you know that yet. If you haven't already, do think about whether you want your computer in a console or on your wrist. Pros and cons to either way. I dive with one of each, and basically never look at the console one (it's a handy place to store my backup) - so much more convenient to look at my wrist. At first, it seems like you want to look at all of that info so it might as well all be in one place. In reality, many people find as they get experience that they look at depth/NDL much more often than pressure. Obviously you have to be checking but you develop a sense for how much air you have left without even looking, plus with more experience you won't be using it as fast. (I look to confirm what I already know, basically.)

I'm tired of renting gear and am ready to purchase my full set. I've got Oceanic fins, mask, and snorkel. The shop where I'm looking to buy can set me up with the following.

Scubapro Mk25/A700 - 697

So I'm looking at $2120 for this package which is high for a first set but it's high quality stuff at a decent discount.

What a 22shady said.

I gave up recommending backplate and wing set ups. The less people that look like me in the water the better. Look for fluff and lots of d-rings!

Scubapro Mk25/A700 - 697

Excellent choices for the regulator and BC/AirII.

I have been diving for over 15 years with Air II and it is great.

I am not sure about the computer. You may want to check the Cobra III from Suunto also but if the Wisdom2 has all features you want, go for it.

BTW, the SP you are choosing will last you a lifetime if you take care of it.

Prices are in line for what you are getting. Purchased from an authorized dealer costs a bit more because of warrenty included. If you are the type not to have your gear serviced yearly then you may want to get something else that has a lower cost,but no "free parts" for life.Something like Sherwood or Oceanic, which the LDS can compete online prices.
This is what we advise customers at the LDS I teach out of.Before going online check to see if LDS can price match or come close to what you see online.Obviously they cannot do that with dealer agreements with Scubapro but maybe able to with other lines they carry.Also weigh in any lost benefits that the LDS may offer, such as free use of their pool at no cost when you want it.That is what we offer to customers when they purchase their gear from us, in our on site heated pool.

"The shop where I'm looking to buy..."

Hard to tell, but that sentence leaves me wondering if you are focusing too much on the dive shop you deal with and what they sell, rather than than deciding what you want then deciding where to get it. If that's the case, I'd expand your horizons to more of the gear available out there. While it's nice to buy from your local or favorite shop, it can be rather limiting in choices to purchase all your major gear there.

I have shopped around at 3-4 places around here and have compared prices online. I'm not a local to this area so I don't have loyalty to a specific shop. I do live overseas and am currently in the states so I was looking to buy at American prices.

And you may think you have done research, but the fact that you asked for opinions without even saying why you are leaning towards any of these choices, implies you might not have really looked into the things you should.

True. I haven't bought yet because I'm still researching.

I dove with Scubapro regs for almost 20 years so nothing against them. They make good regs but you're paying for the name and there are tons of other good regs out there. Do pay attention to what brands you can get serviced wherever you're going to be. If it's the right reg great, but I don't think you know that yet.

From what I've read, SP and Oceanic both have good international presence which is what I need.

Lots of bucks for a computer. Maybe it's perfect for you, but yet again I don't think you know that yet.

You're right. I dont know that yet. Hence the research.

If you haven't already, do think about whether you want your computer in a console or on your wrist. Pros and cons to either way. I dive with one of each, and basically never look at the console one (it's a handy place to store my backup) - so much more convenient to look at my wrist. At first, it seems like you want to look at all of that info so it might as well all be in one place. In reality, many people find as they get experience that they look at depth/NDL much more often than pressure. Obviously you have to be checking but you develop a sense for how much air you have left without even looking, plus with more experience you won't be using it as fast. (I look to confirm what I already know, basically.)

Good point. I can definitely see the advantage of a wrist computer vs console.

A big thing I'm considering is the amount of travel I do for work and the easy of taking my gear along. The knighthawk seems a little bulky but I haven't read or heard of too many complaints about that. An alternative would be a purpose built travel BC like the Oceanic Islander. Just another thought.

Prices are in line for what you are getting. Purchased from an authorized dealer costs a bit more because of warrenty included. If you are the type not to have your gear serviced yearly then you may want to get something else that has a lower cost,but no "free parts" for life.Something like Sherwood or Oceanic, which the LDS can compete online prices.
This is what we advise customers at the LDS I teach out of.Before going online check to see if LDS can price match or come close to what you see online.Obviously they cannot do that with dealer agreements with Scubapro but maybe able to with other lines they carry.Also weigh in any lost benefits that the LDS may offer, such as free use of their pool at no cost when you want it.That is what we offer to customers when they purchase their gear from us, in our on site heated pool.

I have experienced this around here. SP prices are more or less non-negotiable. An Oceanic deal was able to knock off nearly $100. I'd like to say I'll have the gear serviced yearly, but with my line of work and location of living it may not work out. That's good advice about Sherwood or Oceanic warranties.

Scubapro Mk25/A700 - 697

I have an Oceanic OC1 w/ built in compass and it the compass is almost useless. It is too clumsy to put into compass mode while at depth. I would use a Sunnto SK7 for a compass (wrist mount) Like Mr. Lapenta recommended.

I am also a new diver and I am in the midst of purchasing my doubles rig which as you know Scuba is a cheap sport (LOL). The biggest thing I have found which you will hear everyone talk about on SB is try a BP/W before you purchase (which is excellent advice!). I did try a DiveRite Nomad and a Zeagle Ranger prior to purchasing my singles rig. I was very happy with the Zeagle Ranger at that time and since I wasn't planning on any sidemount diving at that time. I ended up going ahead and purchased the Zeagle Ranger it for my singles REC BC. I have enjoyed it for singles since it has a 44lb wing with a nylon backplate. It has stainless steel D rings which are great for slinging my AL19 and AL40. I would recommend getting the crotch strap on any rig you get since it stabilized me pretty well.

Now many people would say -- See you should have bought a BP/W so you would go with a SS backplate for doubles you are now doing.. However I made the costly choice upfront to have a singles kit and a mostly separate doubles kit. Yes much more $$$, however I won't have to mess with kit reconfiguration every time I switch from singles to doubles etc. If I had a tighter budget at the time I surely would have gotten the BP/W and probably would have went with the AL backplate for singles then the SS backplate for doubles.

I have the OctoZ on my Ranger and I agree with an earlier post ... I wish I did NOT buy the OctoZ or any other Octo attached to my power inflator for a few reasons.

- Your work of breathing IMO is much harder
- It is very difficult to work your inflate/deflate buttons on ascent when using it

When I was purchasing originally I was thinking about "Stream lining" my gear as much as possible, however I ended up sacrificing too much functionality with using an OCTO attached to the power inflator. If I was purchasing my singles rig again I would NOT buy an OCTO on the power inflator and I would have opted for a good Octo Second stage.

DISCLAIMER: Of course eveyone on here has their own opinions on this, but this is my observation after spending my money and then trying. :D

Good luck! Scuba is fantastic and gear configuration is fun (at least I think so :) )

- Mike

My two cents: I have a SP set-up I used before I moved to HOG regs and I like them (not as much as my HOGs though). Maybe someone here can correct me, but I believe Apeks is made in England and might be easy to find service for in Europe. Not to mention Apeks is a fine regulator. As for your BC choice, I think you will be happy with the Knighthawk. The others who have mentioned a BP/W setup are correct. They have a lot more versatility, nearly unlimited for sizing, easy for travel, and in my experience, more comfortable. I lasted about 1 year with a jacket style BC before I moved to an OMS BP/W and I will never go back. Also worth note is the fact that if something goes wrong with your rig, it is modular so you can just replace that part not the whole BC. I personally think SP gear is over priced and there is better options out there for the money. Like I said, just my opinion. I love my HOG because it was inexpensive, easy to work on, and breathes like a dream. Either way good luck and I hope you enjoy diving Europe. (Iam very jealous).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom