New Gear Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HawgDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm tired of renting gear and am ready to purchase my full set. I've got Oceanic fins, mask, and snorkel. The shop where I'm looking to buy can set me up with the following.

Scubapro Mk25/A700 - 697
SP Knighthawk M w/Air 2 - 652
Wisdom2 w/compass and qd - 675

So I'm looking at $2120 for this package which is high for a first set but it's high quality stuff at a decent discount.

Any words of wisdom on this purchase? Thanks

So money is no object? What kind of diving are you planning to do and where do you see yourself a year from now? That is a boatload of cash for your first setup. We need to know where you are from and what water temps you expect to be in.

My personal recommendation? For warm water:
Zeagle Express Tech BC- basic with added 4 d drings and metal buckle and two xs scuba weight pouches for the cam bands- $300
Edge Regulator set - adjustable second stages with spg $350 from Dive Right In Scuba
Oceanic Veo 2 computer with wrist mount- $400 ?
Suunto SK-7 or any wrist mount compass- $50- $80
Total for a rig that will do anything you want to do and will fit you. It is fully customizable as well. $1100 - $1200

For cold water sub a BPW with stainless steel plate and add the cold water kit to the Edge reg total upgrade of around $200 for a total of 1400 bucks. Easier to travel with, again it will be fitted to you. No need to try to fit what some manufacturer thinks your size is. Can be upgraded easily to accomodate different diving styles and environments. You could add integrated weight pouches but I prefer a simple belt.

As for pockets add them to your suit, get a thigh pocket that will slide onto the waist strap and tie to your leg- much easier to access and organize items (around $40). The pockets on most jacket BCs are poorly designed in my opinion. The standard octo will also be more familiar for many people and is not as expensive to buy or maintain. In addition you can buy the service kits for the regs yourself and do the service or have any competent tech do it.

Last edited:
I'm moving to Germany in the next few months and will be there for several years. I'll be doing vacation dives across Europe and any place we can plan a trip to in the region. I'm 27 and did my first dives years ago. The wife and I have recently gotten more serious and have been in Korea, Guam, and Hawaii. Money is an object, but we've got enough to spend on high quality gear that will last for many many years.

I've done research on different product lines and personal reviews, but I've obviously not been able to dive with every brand and product. I thought I would get the masses' opinion on here as part of my research.

+1 what Jim said. Use the extra $900 to pay for dive trips or a good exposure suit.

Depending on where your diving Cold water or warm water will help determine a Reg. If warm water only the above will do. If your going to be doing any Cold water diving or diving in contaminated, Dirty waters May want to look into the Scubapro MK17/G250V or Atomic M1 these are great Regs Also HOG regs are a terrific value and breath Just as good as the others.
Also if your buying Regs may want to look into hoses and et yourself a Long/short hose set-up. Some may see this as tech set-up which they do use but it works great even if only rec level (like-me) this set-up makes a lot of sense and if youi ever need to share-air or even on practice drills makes it a lot easier when swimming

As far as the BCD goes I actually prefer a Backplate/Wing. I like the versatility with these your able to carry less lead around your waist. You have ability to grow with this type of BC (Wont become obsolete) If you decide to get a scooter you just clip it off, a Can light will go right on wiast belt, you will have shoulder D-Rings to clip your attachments. You can carry a Pony. I am sure most if not all these could be done with a Jacket style with some modifications. Also if you ever decide to dive doubles you dont need to buy a whole new BC just a wing. and you switch back and fourth very easily. Brands (Halcyon - DSS - Hollis - Hog - OMS) they are a few.
Single Tank BC Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems

I have never used the Wisdon 2 but it seems like a decent computer. I have proplus 2 which is similiar and a very good computer. I also dive the DataMask and I am looking to most likely get a uemis ZURICH as my new computer.

uemis ZURICH / Products - uemis - THE UNDERWATER REVOLUTION

My kind of approach when I first bought my gear 2 years ago (Just started diving) was what I wanted to do, This way I bought my gear for what I wanted to do in the future si I didnt have to spend twice. Now there are still a few little things I did change but as for the Big stuff above I use it and am Very happy with it.

Thanks for the responses. Since we'll be in Europe and traveling a lot, I can't say if it'll be all warm or all cold water. I'm not a fan of cold water but it's Europe so there's plenty to go around. I've also heard buying gear in Europe is much more expensive and I should get gear before I head over there. It seems everyone agrees that this setup is more expensive than necessary for a first set of rec gear.

It's too expensive for a second set. Think about what you will be doing and how you will be getting there. The setup I recommended will fit in a carryon backpack with your mask, boots. Then fins strapped to the outside. The computer and the compass can go in as well along with a change of clothes. That is not going to happen with your Knighthawk. Too big and bulky with a lot of unnecessary padding. THe last time I was in the pool with one I seem to recall it also having about 6 lbs of inherent buoyancy in the one I was using (size med) you'd need to offset with more lead. The Express tech has none to speak of.

I wouldnt say its too expensive for a First set, Atleast not too me. Of course I bought all my gear during my certification class (Drysuit w/ fourth element Undergarment - Halcyon Eclipse BC special deal for doubles wing- Oceanic Proplus2 - MK17/G250V w long/short hose-Akona gloves- Bare Hood) I spent more than your looking at and I still use just about all the gear I bought. I am sure there is people who spent twice as much as I did. but Like I said earlier just make sure you buy your gear with the future in mind so you don't need to spend twice or atleast minamize what you do. And always if possible try out the equipement before you buy try out as many different pieces as the your LDS has so you can feel the difference. Each Reg will breath a little different every BC will feel a little different. Maybe weight/size etc..

I do about 75 dives in Belgium here and 15 dives in warm water each year.

First of all I'd give you the advice to buy your gear in America. It's more expensive here in Europe. I would buy your stuff online. Check out the website at Leisurepro. They are probably cheaper than your LDS.

Since you don't know if you are going to be diving cold or warm water, I'd err on the safe side. For regulators I would go for the MK17/G250 combo. They are very reliable, good breathing comfort; And they will last you a life time if you treat them right. They will also suit you as your diving progresses. They are 450 from Leisurepro.

I would not go for the Air2 option. It's hard sharing air and dumping gas will the inflator is in your mouth. I find them to be less reliable and have less breathing comfort. I would not want that in an emergency situation. But that's just my opinion. I'd go for a Scubapro R295. (150 from Leisurepro).

As for the computer, I would not go for air integrated. Imo it's too expensive for the gain you get from it. It is perfectly fine though, it's your money, if you want to buy it, please do. I would buy a Uwatec 2G. (350 from LP) It does nitrox, 2 gasses and has gauge mode. The 2 gas option will suit you if you ever decide to dive with a deco gas. The gauge mode combined with tables are useful for trimix diving. It's futureproof and very good value for money. The Suunto Cobra (500 at LP) has air integration aswell. I would look at the Suunto Zoop too if you don't really need air integration. It has nitrox mode too. (250 at LP)

The Nighthawk without the Air2 is 450 at LP. But I would go for a BP/wing setup. They are more versatile. The modular system makes sure you can adapt it to your needs. If you go to doubles you just swap out the wing. Future proof it is (see the pattern? :D) I heard very good things about the Zeagle BC's too. Good value for money.

So that's 600 for the MK17/G250 + R295 combo. 450 For the Nighthawk. Thats 1050 in stead of 1350. Nice saving no? I'd consider not buying air integrated to save money and put it towards a suit or a light or... on diving. Don't forget you will probably need more gear than this. Especially if you want to dive in cold water.

I started diving 2 years ago. I bought all my gear. I have since replaced my BC with a BP/Wing, bought a new computer (Uwatec 2G) and bough another diving light (HID). Mind you, I'm going down the technical route a bit, so I might be biased towards that.

I had to type out this reply twice, something went wrong when I was finished...

PS: if you need more info PM me

Back
Top Bottom