New Gear for a New DIVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to diving!
I would recommend renting for a little while if only so you can get a feel for things like split vs paddle fin, back inflate vs jacket style BCD or maybe Back Plate and Wing (BP/W), plus to make sure it is something you want to do.

You will need to consider the type of diving you want to do. I am guessing you will be diving a lot in or around Florida and the water there is warm and as shallow or deep as you care to go. Where I live (Ohio), we have moderate depth COLD water all year round, so I am set up for more of that. Odds are no matter what you get, you will find something you like better once you have been diving for a while.

The basics are a regulator, BCD, Mask, Fins and, I suppose a snorkle (they are annoying under water).

Regulators, mask and fins are very personal items and everyone has their favorite, as you will likely discover.

My personal reg choice is Atomic, but Apeks, ScubaPro and several others are all good. If you see one you like, just ask here on the forums and see how it is generally received. Again, try them out. I have an Atomic B2, T2x, and several M1s and they all breathe the same (very good). If you plan on diving in colder waters, then the type of reg you choose should take that into consideration, as colder water can cause problems with regulators that are not designed for it. One thing I would NOT recommend is a Integrated Second (the BCD inflator is combined with your backup regulator). I also have an Atomic SS1 Integrated that breathes great, but it is the scuba equivalent of a turn signal/Headlight/Windshield Washer/Radio Control on a car - one thing that does too much.

As for BCD, I just went to a Backplate and Wing (BP/W). I loved my back inflate, but lost weight and had to get a new BCD. I tried out a BP/W and found it was like my old back inflate on steroids - absolutely awesome - so much more freedom of movement, but still helps you maintain a horizontal position in the water. One of the nice things about a BP/W is they are generally not that expensive and they are very accomodating to many body sizes. Don't be intimidated by the whole "BP/W are for tech", because it is no more difficult to use a Back Plate than any other BCD, or at least that is my experience, although I switched from a back-inflate to a Back Plate, so there wasn't as big a difference as coming from a jacket style (which can hold you in a more upright position, or so I've read - I don't know I have never used one).

Fins are highly subjective and the performance you get from them varies from individual kick styles. Since you likely have strong legs, a stiffer fin may be more suitable, but again, it is up to the individual. I prefer a paddle (solid) fin, but I also have a set of splits. Don't bother asking which is better - split or fin - you won't get a definitive answer since what works for one person is horrible for another. Search the forums for that topic and you'll see what I mean. These are really important, though - it is your means of propulsion and need to be ones you are comfortable with.

Unless you plan on spending time snorkling as well as diving, the snorkle is less critical. If you do want to snorkle, then it will be more important. I don't snorkle so I can't really comment on them. I just swapped out my really nice snorkle for a roll up and stow-away one.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted on your diving!

John

.....With this setup, is choosing the type of wing and size critical in regards to my size and body weight though? Also, is it similar as a jacket style vest with back inflation (Zeagle ranger) in regards to trim, buoyancy control etc... What is the main reason why people dive with a bc compared to a bp/w? probably preference or more for technical diving.

Any other suggestions, throw them out... how about a 18" rambo knife?:D

Hi again lmurtha1,

Wing size is based on the buoyancy of your exposure suit (wetsuit). Your wetsuit compresses and loses buoyancy at depth; the wing or BC has to compensate for the lost buoyancy. Your size means you'll use a bigger wetsuit than someone who is 5' tall, so more neoprene means more buoyancy. So, yeah, you'll need to match the size of the wing to how much your buoyancy can change at depth.... in warm water you wear a thinner wetsuit, it loses less buoyancy, so you can get away with a smaller wing.

Almost everyone taking Basic OW is trained in a BC. The diveshop almost always sells BC's... few sell BP/W's unless they are oriented towards technical diving. So most new divers are not exposed to BP/W's until later, if ever.

There is nothing "wrong" with a standard BC, but most of us who have switched to BP/W's are really pleased with how stable, comfortable, and "upgradeable" the BP/W system is.... and it is often CHEAPER than a good-quality BC. If I was traveling, and the only thing I could dive with was a standard BC, I'd be perfectly happy to use it, but I own a BP/W because I like it better.

Best wishes.

thanks a lot James! thats some good stuff. I think I may just go with a BP/w because i want freedom, if anyone with size can agree, the more freedom the better! After looking into some companies im looking to go with a Halcyon settup. Any other companies you all suggest I'll certainly look into. Also, after searching this forum and reading everything possible about fins, im going with a solid fin, no split fins for me. ive narrowed down my reg but one more thing:

A computer. This is def an area im not familiar with, my fathers a scuba diver but he still uses an old Dacor , tables, a lot in his head etc.. so he doesnt know much about this area either. he doesnt do any deep diving either and is strictly recreational. I want something that will be optimum in every style of diving. Is the Oceanic OC1 or Mares Icon HD nice setups or contain the same functionality as a cheaper settup?..

Thanks again everyone for your help:D

because if your size get a;
custom wetsuit a 3/2 for warm water & a heavy one if you plan on diving in water colder than 75 deg.
BCD;which ever fits well & has enough lift for your size
then comes the regulator, it needs to be serviced yearly.... choose a brand that is stocked at a large variety of dive shops, let me give you some logic....Scubapro has a very limited source of repairs & maintanence, the titanium one may be a similar issue (not sure) check your local shop and ask what brands they service. ( never understood why titanium was any better (for the fee they charge)than other metals in a regulator)
EXAMPLE I've been on dive trips and a computer battery died or a reg. had a part that failed and at the foreign location thay didn't have the battey or part to put divers gear back into service so diver had to use rental gear, I know you think that if you take care of your own stuff" that won't happen, but batteries die and I've seen new gear fail and I've also seen just "serviced" gear fail, "Murphy" can jump in anybody's dive bag when least expected!!!
that pretty much covers the important stuff
fins my son with size 14's tell me that some fins have the tendency to make his feet cramp ( dont know if it's a size thing) own your own booties, I like my Appollo split fins
weight, some dive boat operators don't like integrated weights, all prefer soft to hard as they do less damage, so be prepared with a pouch style belt even if your integrated
now that you own your BC get a bunch of buckles & clips for
accessories; lights, console retractor, camera, and attach them to all your D rings
camera, great starter camera is olympus 8000 with housing
computer;be sure your choice has, user friendly batteries, altitude adjustable if you ever plan in doing any diving that isn't in the ocean, and I also recomend an analog pressure guage

Last edited:
Murtha, I live in Miami so you may want to try Austin's on US-1 just south of where the Palmetto ends. They are a Scuba Pro and Apeks dealer (not sure about Atomic) they also carry Halcyon gear and cater to a more techinical diving crowd. You could also try Silent World in Key Largo.

As far as the advice you hear on the board it is great for the average diver but you are a special case. Given your size you probably want to go with a back plate and wing but at a larger size. For example if we dive together at the same depth as a percentage our wet suits compress the same. However because your wet suit is larger than mine (I am only 5' 8") you loose more bouyancy than I do. Consequently you would need to compensate more than I do. Also given your size you would probably need a larger tank than I do. Also if your fellow players have there own boats (maybe you will also) they (or you) make up the diving rules of the boat.

OK, here's your shopping list:

• 9 mm Farmer John wetsuit
  • Split fins in a bright colour
  • Mares Hub (BCD + regs)
  • Spare Air for safety
  • plenty of retractors to clip all your gear
  • suicide clips to easily clip your retractors to your bcd
  • console computer that doesn't do Nitrox
  • huge dive knife
  • underwater mp3 player
  • Shark Shield (take the one with the longest possible antenna for extra safety)
  • diving light that is too big as a backup, but too small as a primary
  • tank banger

Did I miss something? :D

(to be clear: this is not recommended gear)

thanks a lot James! thats some good stuff. I think I may just go with a BP/w because i want freedom, if anyone with size can agree, the more freedom the better! After looking into some companies im looking to go with a Halcyon settup. Any other companies you all suggest I'll certainly look into.

Personally H is on a bit steep pricetag for me. I've read and listened to others and ended up with HOG (wings, SPGs and regulators) and I have no regrets. Worth looking into esp. for price/quality perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom